Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
helladubber
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so yesterday while driving my car started shaking really hard and when i drove the rpms wouldnt go past like3000. Got it checked out aparently my #3 piston is shot and there is no way to replace it cause it blew out some of the wall on the inside(not a big engine person so dont know all the right terms sorry) so i can either get it replaced with a new engine of my choice or i can sell for parts and buy a new car...im torn because i love my dub to death but what about another one?\
F.Y.I its a 2003 1.8t
whad da you think?

·
helladubber
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
umm what that kinda comes with my next question...i dont know much so dont know what would work but i think the guy said i could get a new 1.8t for about 5 grand but what more work would have to be done to get in a r32 or a vr6?

·
helladubber
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but wouldnt i need a new tranny to cause arent they 6 speed? cause i have the money money isnt a issue its just what would be smarter in the long run

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't see why it should cost 5k...

Unless the crank is toast and the cylinder wall is gouged out beyond repair you can use the same block. Get a new piston, get the machine shop to do the wall, and pop it back in. If the rod is toast, take it as an opportunity to have a built motor. Get some rods and get the machine shop to put it together for you. Then you'll have a motor ready for a bigger turbo :)

·
helladubber
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't see why it should cost 5k...

Unless the crank is toast and the cylinder wall is gouged out beyond repair you can use the same block. Get a new piston, get the machine shop to do the wall, and pop it back in. If the rod is toast, take it as an opportunity to have a built motor. Get some rods and get the machine shop to put it together for you. Then you'll have a motor ready for a bigger turbo :)
that seems to be what they were telling me that it was unrepariable. idk its like i could get a now motor put in for 5*** or i could spend nine and get a gti/jetta/r32 somethin.....its just hard idk

·
G&M Performance
1,337 Posts
that seems to be what they were telling me that it was unrepariable. idk its like i could get a now motor put in for 5*** or i could spend nine and get a gti/jetta/r32 somethin.....its just hard idk
One most blocks they don't like to bore out very much cause it compromises the block.
Most shops will give the first price they find and they usually use refurbished motors. If you go to a junkyard you can get one for like a $1-2k, but if you take it to a shop its gonna be another couple grand on top of that to get it installed.
I say take everything you want off your car and part the rest and put that towards a new ride.
I know it sucks and trust me I know how you feel. I had a honda civic that I used to love (well its still siting in my driveway, but its going to my sister) that I blew a hole through the block.

·
Jetta Junkie Moderator
2,922 Posts
if u were to swap to a r32, u would need to change someother things, starter, axles. check junkyards for a donor motor and swap it.

·
6 Gears & 4 Doors
864 Posts
definately if money isnt a problem i say do a FULL R32 swap (Engine , cluster , ecu , wiring harness , AWD tranny , any interior parts u can scavenge from the donor car .... Everything)

would be NASTY in my opinion

·
helladubber
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright guys so incase you all care, i have made my decision.

i went to a scrap yard and found a 2004 1.8t motor with 45,000 miles :)
only 1200 dollars to buy and i found a guy that will put it in for 1000 bucks.
idk if thats good labor price or not but it is what it is.
i feel like i could just put the money i have torward mods(exaust, lowering springs, subs, ect.)
thanks again for your guys's input.
was overall a pretty nasty decision i had to make.
Thanks, Alex

·
6 Gears & 4 Doors
864 Posts
alright guys so incase you all care, i have made my decision.

i went to a scrap yard and found a 2004 1.8t motor with 45,000 miles :)
only 1200 dollars to buy and i found a guy that will put it in for 1000 bucks.
idk if thats good labor price or not but it is what it is.
i feel like i could just put the money i have torward mods(exaust, lowering springs, subs, ect.)
thanks again for your guys's input.
was overall a pretty nasty decision i had to make.
Thanks, Alex
Good Shyt ...but honestly if ur goin from 1.8T to 1.8T ..... y not swap it urself ... just label the connectors or hoses as u remove them

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Good Shyt ...but honestly if ur goin from 1.8T to 1.8T ..... y not swap it urself ... just label the connectors or hoses as u remove them
^This. It's a straight swap, why waste 1000 G's for somebody else to do it?

·
6 Gears & 4 Doors
864 Posts
^This. It's a straight swap, why waste 1000 G's for somebody else to do it?
^ This ... completely agree .... its a straight swap then its kinda tough to fvck it up ... im sure its possible but that will take effort .

·
helladubber
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
basicly because i have absolutly no idea what im doing.....idk how to lift it out anything my dads paying for the install anyway so its okay as long as its getting done right

·
Jetta Junkie Moderator
2,922 Posts
basicly because i have absolutly no idea what im doing.....idk how to lift it out anything my dads paying for the install anyway so its okay as long as its getting done right
hey man, id try it urself, even if ur dad's paying for the install. all u need it a cherry picker, maybe some pry bars and other basic hand tools. ive started lots of things i havent done b4, the one i most regret tryin was the motor swap i did in our old chevy astro van...what a PITA :mad:. but the price on the motor sounds about right especially for low miles. the price for the labor to swap it....sounds alil high imo. just give it a try, if u get stuck, just hop on here, plenty of ppl to help :).

·
G&M Performance
1,337 Posts
hey man, id try it urself, even if ur dad's paying for the install. all u need it a cherry picker, maybe some pry bars and other basic hand tools. ive started lots of things i havent done b4, the one i most regret tryin was the motor swap i did in our old chevy astro van...what a PITA :mad:. but the price on the motor sounds about right especially for low miles. the price for the labor to swap it....sounds alil high imo. just give it a try, if u get stuck, just hop on here, plenty of ppl to help :).
Exactly ^^^
The whole reason I got into cars was cause I blew the motor on my old civic. I'm working very slowly on it (since working on my getta is better anyways XD), but it took me about 10 hours of actual work to get the motor out and completely takin apart. That was when I had nothing, but hand tools. No manual, no guides, no experience, and only minimal help from a friend. None of it is too difficult, just label all the hoses and everything as your taking it apart.
Just some things I've learned from experience:
Take the front bumper, radiator, and radiator support off. Its a little extra work, but it makes it a lot easier to work around in the engine bay.
Also if you take the front off you don't have to get an engine lift (although it is preferred). You can use your floor jack and put a piece of wood on it then jack it up on the oil pan (helpful to have an extra set of hands for balancing it)
Go buy a case of PB Blaster cause you will need it. Spray everything down THE DAY BEFORE you go to work on it and then again right before you try and remove any nut, bolt, screw, etc.
If you haven't already go buy your self a manual or download one on your laptop and always have it handy.
And the most important part is to buy and ton of beer. It will help keep you from getting pissed of and wanting to hit babies with blunt objects O0

Honestly if you can get a friend to give you a hand you can do the full swap in a weekend. Again like JettaBoy said there are plently of us on here that can help you out along the way.

·
rollin deep
1,166 Posts
pretty good deal on the motor... but i think the 3.2L with haldex and all those goodies would have been ballin hard..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts