Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Engine option, advice and opinions. Please

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RacManDub 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I own a mk2 91 1.8 8v (with 32/36 twin choke carb) Jetta and I'm looking to do an engine change some time soon but can't decide whats best?

Basically I plan to stay on carbs no matter the engine (twin 40 webbers), so heres my options…

Another 1.8 8v, re bored to 1.9 with twin 40's

or

Mk3 2.0 8v with the twin 40's

Of course I plan to upgrade the cam in both and anything else that could use an upgrade but I just can't decide which will be best to build, use daily and be a nice upgrade in power from my little 1.8 8v?

Please give me your opinions and any advice you may have.

#4 ·
+1 I had an 86 camry (dont hate) that I swapped the carb for efi and loved it. Plus you dont need to tweak the carb for changing of the seasons. But on the flip side I took a mopar 2.4l efi and threw a carb on it. You could do throttle body injection rather cheap.

But Magic, I've noticed from being in the american muscle scene that carb guys are carb guys and there is no changing that.

IMO go with the 2.0 because by the time you bore out the 1.8 and replace the internals you are already going to be hitting your wallet worse then if you started with the 2.0 plus you will have an extra 0.1l and we all kknow there is no replacement for displacement

#5 ·
Completely agree with everything your saying mate I have mates with injection Mk2 golfs and they would never go carb and at the same time besides myself I know guys that run carbs and they'd never go injection, neither is any worse than the other.

Also the 2.0 instead of the 1.8 to a 1.9 being a cheaper and simpler route is what I thought but at the same time bigger doesn't always mean better so I just wanted to be sure the 2.0ltr's have a nice bit of go and the one thing I love about my 1.8 it revs like nothing I've ever driven so just want to be sure the 2.0 will do similar if not better

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.