Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am having issues with a Jetta I recently purchased. For starters right off the bat I needed a fuel pump, but I got that replaced and it drove well for a while.

For a couple weeks I had no issues EXCEPT occasionally the throttle would cut out while driving for a half second to a second and come right back, didn't think much of it, not dash lights at the time.
Then suddenly the throttle cutting out got worse, and then so much so that the engine would stall and I would pull over, turn it back on (fired up with no trouble) and keep driving.
I now have a CEL and EPC light on. What's strange is it drives well aside from the throttle cutting out, which most peoples posts I see with an EPC they cant get their cars to start or it runs rough... Ideas as to what it may be? I will pull engine codes this afternoon and post them here. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello!
I am having issues with a Jetta I recently purchased. For starters right off the bat I needed a fuel pump, but I got that replaced and it drove well for a while.

For a couple weeks I had no issues EXCEPT occasionally the throttle would cut out while driving for a half second to a second and come right back, didn't think much of it, not dash lights at the time.
Then suddenly the throttle cutting out got worse, and then so much so that the engine would stall and I would pull over, turn it back on (fired up with no trouble) and keep driving.
I now have a CEL and EPC light on. What's strange is it drives well aside from the throttle cutting out, which most peoples posts I see with an EPC they cant get their cars to start or it runs rough... Ideas as to what it may be? I will pull engine codes this afternoon and post them here. Thanks

With the part about the EPC light coming on, I had something similar on my 2012 gli, where the epc light would start flashing when I go from a complete stop in 1st gear into 2nd gear. Basically any time I started to give it throttle , or really start to wind out the gears, the epc would start flashing. Turns out my vw loves to burn more oil than I had thought. At 156k miles, I have to add about 1 quart of oil a month to it or for every 1k miles (I don't have any leaks that I know of). So once I topped off my oil the EPC light went off.

·
Super Moderator
13,665 Posts
With the part about the EPC light coming on, I had something similar on my 2012 gli, where the epc light would start flashing when I go from a complete stop in 1st gear into 2nd gear. Basically any time I started to give it throttle , or really start to wind out the gears, the epc would start flashing. Turns out my vw loves to burn more oil than I had thought. At 156k miles, I have to add about 1 quart of oil a month to it or for every 1k miles (I don't have any leaks that I know of). So once I topped off my oil the EPC light went off.
what type of oil are you using?

·
Super Moderator
13,665 Posts
not what weight but what type or brand? Castrol? Penzoil? Amsoil? Walmart oil?

looks like you have a mk6? and should have either a TSI, 2.0 or 2.5, the vehicle calls for 5W-40

·
Registered
7 Posts
not what weight but what type or brand? Castrol? Penzoil? Amsoil? Walmart oil?

looks like you have a mk6? and should have either a TSI, 2.0 or 2.5, the vehicle calls for 5W-40

I used to run castrol 5w30. But then about 60k miles ago I just switched to just walmart oil full synthetic and just change the oil every 5k.

·
Super Moderator
13,665 Posts
I used to run castrol 5w30. But then about 60k miles ago I just switched to just walmart oil full synthetic and just change the oil every 5k.
There's problem 1 oil quality, if you run a more premium oil brand it won't burn as fast Liqui Molly or Motul are some of the best oils for these engines, what engine do you have?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts