Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have an 04 1.8t and i wanna know what would be a cheap but nice little change to the exhaust that i can do and will give it a bit of a growl. I dont have the money for a full Turboback exhaust. i wanna know if theres anything i can go to a local muffler shop and ask for without losing power while still getting a nice little growl.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Best bet is to do a downpipe if you can't afford a full tbe there is a cheap tbe made by tsude that's 259 shipped. And a friend of mine went really cheap and got a full 3 inch tbe off Ebay for 160ish shipped doesn't sound that bad actually and gives you a nice boost in performance

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine a 3 inch all the way back and aside from the fact it's loud as hell the difference in performance is unreal to the stock downpipe and exhaust. It's really preference i don't care if my cars loud so i did a 3 inch all the way back

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
Cutting out the resonator (middle oval tube) in the exhuast is cheap and will give it a nice sound, no performance. A catback is cheap and will boost sound more but no performance. A downpipe will boost a tiny bit of performance but the sound will still be eh on the stock catback. A full TBE is the most expensive but there will be a huge boost in performance and sound. IMO id just cut out the resonator for now or get a custom catback made. Those would be the cheapest options.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Call some local shops and ask for a cat back, just got my 2.5in, magnaflow with res delete for 320. It sounds really nice not to loud until you get on it, then I roars
Would deleting the res affect the smogging? im sorry im kinda a noob at these things at the moment :p
I was wanting to throw in a 2.5" dp but it seemed really pricey. Ill check out my local shop and check how much theyd charge me for that.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
You will still pass smog without a muffler and resonator. The resonator just smooths out the sound and quiets it a bit. If your in California, then you will not pass smog, since they require you to have a muffler.

Edit: Just noticed that you live in Cali. You will most likely pass the smog, if you keep a muffler on it. Not sure if they actually go off of how loud your muffler is though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You will still pass smog without a muffler and resonator. The resonator just smooths out the sound and quiets it a bit. If your in California, then you will not pass smog, since they require you to have a muffler.

Edit: Just noticed that you live in Cali. You will most likely pass the smog, if you keep a muffler on it. Not sure if they actually go off of how loud your muffler is though.
Thanks bro. yea cali can be a ***** with the smoggings :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts