Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I am the proud owner of a 2009 Jetta SE! It jus clicked over to 2500mi in the first month of ownership *tugs at collar*. I am new to the car enthusiast thing but I am eager to learn!

Firstly, I’m not “car dumb” but when reading the forums I am concerned about the term “neglect.” Are we talking about not taking it in for oil changes/service at the prescribed intervals; or just general harsh driving and conditions? Also, I have heard that where I live, Northern Virginia, is described as an area of severe in terms of vehicle wear. Should I be considering bringing the car in more frequently than 10,000 prescribed service intervals?

Secondly, what are some good first steps when it comes to personalizing your car? I was thinking about doing something different with the interior. Maybe change the trim or something? I’m not all the eager to drop lots of money and void warranties… yet. But if anyone out there has suggestions, I am excited to hear them!

I look forward to participation in the forum and learning more about the “VW lifestyle!”

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Hey, welcome dude.

Neglect is pretty much what you said... Not changing oil, other fluids, washing the car/waxing the car. Do those and you'll be all good. VW motors/trans can take a pretty good beating. I'm not saying turn into a street racer, but you're not gonna blow a motor with spirited driving. It is German after all.

You dont really live in a severe environment... NY, PE, NH, MI, etc are extreme as well as good ol' Canada ofcourse. 10,000 mi checkup is up to you, but I personally dont trust anybodys hands but my own on my dub. Not the dealership or any other shop... Its a rip off, and you never know when they're gonna take your wheels out for lunch and spray coca cola all over your ceiling, dash, and seats. And yes... Thats happened to me at the dealer many years ago.

When it comes to personalizing a VW, you can do just about anything. Body kits, smoked headlights/tail lights/side markers, wheels, new antenna.

Interior mods are endless.... They sell chrome trim sets and so fourth, maybe what you're looking for?

Performance mods are plentiful.

Places to start looking would be:

www.ecstuning.com

www.mjmautohaus.com

AVOID BLACK FOREST INDUSTRIES!!!!!

And welcome to the forums!

·
AllShoNoGo
2,465 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase...you may find it difficult to find some mods for the '09 just yet, especially inexpensive....As far as neglect as long as you keep up on fluid and belt change intervals...tires arent run flat, you dont hit every pothole and curb knocking your steering and suspension out of wack...you should be fine:)

·
I think it'll work...
388 Posts
Congrats on entering the VW world, I hope you enjoy your stay and end up just as addicted as the rest of us...

Not to jack the thread... But to Boost Addicted, I am wondering why avoid Black Forest Industries? Bad past experience?

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Heres the roll down...

Purchased a green top coolant sensor from them. It was defective out of the box, so I called and asked for a replacement. They said that was fine, but to send in the old one... And they weren't responsible for return shipping of that sensor, and sendout shipping of the new one. Keep in mind, that sensor is $15 and the ground shipping to my house was $10.

Second purchase was a new south gauge pod with vdo boost gauge. Said it came with everything necessary for installation. In reality, it didn't come with the compression fitting to attach the nylon hose to the boost gauge, the tee (to tap into a vacuum line) had one of the openings sealed with plastic, and the nylon hose must have been wound up for so long, it snapped into pieces when stretched out.

Then I thought, well, this place blows, but I can count on an antenna being alright to order. Boooy was I wrong.... Got the antenna, didn't get the screw insert to attach to the stock bonnet.

3 strikes and theeeeeiiiir ouuutttt!

Still have the emails of them telling me ''we're not responsible for shipping'' and ''these boost gauge kits no longer come with compression fittings''. Didnt even bother telling them about the tee and nylon hose. My boost gauge is functional courtesy of Home Depot.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
They have **** for customer service and don't tell you when parts are not included in kits. And just suck over all.

For performance parts, www.germanautoparts.com is by FAR the best IMO.

For example. Went to the dealer for the price of a wheel bearing and hub assembly for my car... They want $268. Went to GAP (they're actually right by my house), they wanted $48.

Got my rear bilstein touring shocks for $120

CTS was $12

Enough said.

Sorry for the thread-jack dude lol just trying to tell ppl why BFI SUCKS!

·
The Name is Nate.
517 Posts
Welcome to the world of VW, my jetta is my first VW but I have been a llong time enthusiast and like you can now make it my own. Hope the forum is helpful to you.

on a side note after my Master Mechanic cert course (2 year mechanic course..eesh) I'm opening a Euro-only shop...it will be 1 of 2 private euro shops in my area...besides the craptaular dealerships :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts