Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago i went car shopping, looked at a whole one car. A 2000 Jetta GLS VR6. Took it for a test drive and pretty much fell in love right away.

Let me get the bad out of the way. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. We get nasty winters that bring several hundred tonnes of salt upon our cars every year.
Considering that, the body of this car is in very good condition. There is 2-3 surface rust spots on the hood, 2 spots on the doors (one spot on both sides), minor surface rust along lower corner seams, as well as a somewhat bad passenger fender. The fender may be repairable but i would be more comfortable replacing it. I intend on having the car painted Black with silver metallic flec in the spring to breath new life into this car and repair the rust. All rust spots have been treated and tended to to prevent any major corrosion.

A trans coolant hose was pinched with the engine was being re-mounted after one of the water pumps was replaced. Minor issue really.

Check engine light stays on. Previous owner said something about moisture collecting somewhere that causes it and often does not come on when it has a full tank of gas. Not sure about it myself though.

The car has ~275,000km' (171,000miles)s on it which is kind of high i know,, but, I just loved the car too much to resist.

Now enough of the downers. This bad boy has the 2.8 VR6 engine, Auto, Heated leather seats, power locks, windows and sunroof, 8 speaker Monsoon stereo, and a real nice set of winter rims. Sacchi S2's as far as i can tell although i have yet to find the S2 in the gunmetal colour mine are.

Everything works in the car thus far and it quite the quick little car to boot.

Things to be done:
  • New black metallic paint,
  • Interior trim cleaned up or replaced (rubberized layer has scratched off a lot up front)
  • New HU, have not decided on using the single DIN i have or getting a new double DIN nav unit
  • Single compact 10" Sub with amp
  • Cold air intake (already on order)
  • Lowered an inch or two but no more
  • Black mesh Bora type R grille
  • Maybe a magnaflow or borla exhaust, depends on how much money i have free to burn
  • Front strut Bar
  • SS headers
  • Darker tint on rear windows and tail lights

If anyone knows anything about these cars that you think i should know please give me a shout, i want to know what i'm in for.

One thing i'm a bit worried about it the trans fluid. As i understand it there is not physical way to check it and that rather it is done through the OBD-II port by checking the fluid temperature.

Also my breaks are a tad on the soft side, the peddle is that is, Breaks actually work great( new pads and rotors.) I'm thinking it is just air in the lines.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Volkswagen Alloy wheel

:):)

·
Member - VR6 Crew
205 Posts
I have 2000 GLX VR with 103k miles, same color as yours it looks like! My CEL pretty much stays lit (I've named it Chuck, lol), mine has the auto trans, I love my Jetta, although just like any love affair it hasn't come without it's share of 'maintenance costs'! By the way, I live in a northern climate as well (Mn) granted not as northern as you though! Good luck with your Jetta!

·
Registered
10 Posts
how much did you pay? I just bought a 97 gt with 160 on the 2.0 and 120 on the 020 transmission. I live in Pa so I too am effected by the rust factor but the previous owner patched it up underneith and now there is just a spot on the rear driverside door on the inside, a small piece on the rocker(looks like it was cut out for some reason) and on the the front driver side door because of a dent. I too fell in love with my car whenever I drove it (first stick I ever drove) didnt stall it either just peeled out haha. Its all blacked out and on lowering springs but the USRT shift linkage is messed up and Im trying to fix it now. It needs a few other odds and ends for it to pass inspection but you can beat that for only paying 1300 haha.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel like since I still only have 3 posts here on JJ after two years I'm still maaad noob around here. I thought i'd throw an update on where I am with my VDub. It Died. I drove it until august of last year when the rear axle assembly broke PN:1J0 500 041 EN. it snapped right where the hanger piece goes to the bushing to mount to the frame. Caused the passenger rear tyre to shift back in the wheel well and bind up. Buddy that was in the car with my thought I ripped the E-brake since we drifted to the side of the street. Could have been real nasty if I were at highway speeds... With the cost of that single repair piled with the fact I needed full suspension done, lower and upper control arms, new bushings erawhurr, valve seal was blown and leaking like mad, breaks were soft, Transmission was all wonkey and did not engage gears right(bloody Auto's), needed new coolant lines, rad, the list goes on and on and on and I simply could not stomach sinking all that money in when I needed a vehicle for work. The night all this happened I went out to my Sisters and reclaimed the Chrysler Neon I had given her a few years before for something to get around in for the mean time. Used that horrible thing for about a week with it's over stretched throttle cable that caused it to shoot into neutral anytime you put your foot down any... and then payday came around. It was actually a buddy of mine who was looking through Kijiji Classifieds when he came across another 2000 Jetta GLS VR6. I had seen the car myself on there and did not pay much attention because I didn't think I could afford it. My buddy went ahead and sent him an offer of $2000 and he said sure to my surprise. That night my father and I went on the 2 hour+ drive each way across Nova Scotia to go look at this car. When I get there I look around the car..

The bad
It has a very evident flash over paint job (flat black spray bomb with oodles of runs), I can tell there is some shauddy body work done to it and the starting of rust around the driver side rear wheel well and the whole driver side rocker is essentially on its way out(much worse a year later now) and the driver side fender had the bottom fabbed in with fiberglass and bondo. Lucky I have a spare fender on whats now a parts car... Front end was in a collision and had no grille, mangled bumper cover and rad support. it also had cloth interior, checkered duck tape all over the steering wheel And had 15" VW rims painted bright lime green.. That's where the bad ended, or so I thought.

The good
2.25 magnaflow from the manifold,
It has a proper transmission with a stick attached to it,
It doesn't misfire and Clunk like mad around every corner,
It has lowering springs all around and Lotek struts in the rear(all in need of replacement now mind you..)
Had a clutch job done shortly before I got it,
Timing chains were done at ~150 k (someone left them a little late)
Having a parts car with leather heated seats and many pieces of trim in better condition

Sadly many of the parts I NEEDED rather than wanted off the parts car were incompatible since the first car was an Auto.. ie: Axle, transmission mount bracket, starter

The clutch job that had been done, I am unaware if it was the first one done or not but whomever did it either cross threaded the transmission mount bracket or re-used the TTY bolts for the engine mount which cause my engine to fall out one month after I got the car. I parked it at a friends house not knowing the actual issue at the time and being unable to afford to fix it due to a job loss until January 30 2013 when one of my buddies and I decided to get our hands dirty and discovered what was going on down there. I Used a ratchet strap around the strut tower and transmission brace to lift the engine back into place and re-used the TTY bolts myself into what threads were left which held the engine in place long enough for me to get the car moved and bring it home. Ended up running the car like that, with the added support of a ratchet strap or two until mid July where I got a new transmission mount bracket for my birthday. Dropped the engine about 6 inches to get the old bracket out and the new one in and it's been golden ever since. Just last week i had my starter go, replaced that with a brand new Bosch Premium starter from my local stealership and installed it in about 3 hours of me taking my time. Just amazing how well the car starts now. Only thing i have left to do is the axle since the cv boot came off when the engine dropped. I have the part but not the tools to install. I may have to let a local shop take the reins on this one.

Regardless of all my issues i've had this car is so different from the first one and they both had their merits to them but you simply can't beat a VR6 stick with a magnaflow, that's just a creamy combo for the ears right there. I never even test drove the car, I just started it, heard the exhaust note and said sold.. I'm too impulsive sometimes..

Now that I have had 2 years with different Vdubs I feel so much more educated on them and love them so much more after doing my own work to them.

Things to be done/dreaming list:
  • black metallic paint with violet or red flec, or Chrome red or blue, maybe violet..
  • Maybe a pioneer or kenwood double DIN to replace the Kenwood Single DIN HU i have now
  • 1000-1600watt amp for the dual 12" Cerwin Vega subs I have in it now powered by only a 200watt MTX amp
  • Proper CAI not the SRI I threw on off my Jeep GC
  • New FK V2 Coilovers are what I am aiming for
  • Black mesh grille of somesort to replace the broken oem one I have on now burn
  • Front strut Bar
  • Polished MKiii Valve cover
  • Power coating of many parts
  • New stiffer bushings everywhere possible
  • BFI VR6 Engine mounts
  • Decent looking body kit with boser hood
  • Powder coat rims black chrome and get new set for summer
  • R32 front seats
  • R32 steering wheel
  • Brembo, Stoptech or Porsche big break kit
  • LSD upgrade
  • stubby antenna
  • tint on rear windows and tail lights

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
oh boy where do I start....well that's one heck of a post, glad you got a car that's mechanically

sound, so let's tackle the axle thing, are you replacing the hole axle? or just doing the cv boot? if your replacing the axle for the price of shop to do it you can just buy the tools needed to do it, if your still interested in doing the axle yourself then lmk I can tell you all that's needed to do it

as far as paint plans, I love the boser idea just hate the mesh grill idea, go badgless and call it a day, it'll look so much cleaner then the mesh crap, and as far as body kit....what did you have in mind?

as far as brakes what's the use in going brembo or porsche if you don't really need it? I would say you could get away with R32 dual piston brakes, your not pushing tons of hp that you really need huge brakes

also a LSD is a great upgrade! I have one and can launch control my car with no problems as much as I want

now on to tint, please don't tint your tail lights I just feel like if your going the extra mile to get it painted it may rice it out a bit

ahh and the front strut bar good idea but performance wise you'll be happier with a rear sway bar, it'll get rid of the body roll and make it feel like a much tighter car

I think that is all I think I've covered most of my thoughts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replacing the whole axle. already got a brand new one in the box. Ultra 8 brand econo lol. I don't really have the stuff to lift my car safely anymore as virtually everything I owned was shipped off to Ontario as I am in the process of moving. So for time and safety reasons I think I will still let the shop take this one. Don't have much room for tools atm in the car for when I leave either as i already have a car filled with them lol.

By mesh I don't mean cut to fit ricer mesh, more along the lines of a badge-less honeycomb.

I don't per-say need crazy breaks but when have they ever hurt anything ;P R32 dual pistons will also be in my sights for an option and probably a lot easier to find once I'm in Ontario especially since i'll be only about an hour and a half away from Toronto.

mmmm Lsd>:D

Factory tinted rear lights not that spray on crap, I'm a fan of the murdered look myself.

Strut bar will still be on my list but forgot to mention front and rear sway bars which will come when I get around to getting the FK coilovers.

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
Replacing the whole axle. already got a brand new one in the box. Ultra 8 brand econo lol. I don't really have the stuff to lift my car safely anymore as virtually everything I owned was shipped off to Ontario as I am in the process of moving. So for time and safety reasons I think I will still let the shop take this one. Don't have much room for tools atm in the car for when I leave either as i already have a car filled with them lol.

By mesh I don't mean cut to fit ricer mesh, more along the lines of a badge-less honeycomb.

I don't per-say need crazy breaks but when have they ever hurt anything ;P R32 dual pistons will also be in my sights for an option and probably a lot easier to find once I'm in Ontario especially since i'll be only about an hour and a half away from Toronto.

mmmm Lsd>:D

Factory tinted rear lights not that spray on crap, I'm a fan of the murdered look myself.

Strut bar will still be on my list but forgot to mention front and rear sway bars which will come when I get around to getting the FK coilovers.
sounds good, only thing I've never seen a honey comb grill for a mk4

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
double post, oh well, one more thought what about a solid tune?
Probably do some good but for all I know it already is haha.

Got the axle done yesterday at Midas for $144 taxes in. not sure if it's a good price or not. I was told that the Ultra-8 axle i got would not be as smooth as an oem VW one and that seems to be the case.. Is there a break in period on axles?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts