Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2nd gear has been pretty tricky to get used to. i've mastered it now but when trying to **** quick or even sometimes when i shift slow 2nd gear will grind. The clutch is definitely pushed in and i'm at the right ammount of rpm's but i pull back and then i get the sound no standard driver wants to hear there gears make... any ideas on what could cause this to happen? :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Either a synchro is bad or it is your linkage. Linkage is the more common of the two though. I had to replace the linkage on my car when I got it because it did this same thing. $250 sounds a lot better than tranny work.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
Either a synchro is bad or it is your linkage. Linkage is the more common of the two though. I had to replace the linkage on my car when I got it because it did this same thing. $250 sounds a lot better than tranny work.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I would also advise replacing the shifter bushings on your endlinks, the factory ones are rubber and turn into mush after they age.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright i'll have to look into this, my buddy owns his own garage and gets a hella discount on Vdub parts and any other part i can think of so maybe i can get it for under $250 and save me some cash. I've heard about the bushings turning to mush, are there any certain types of bushings you guys reccomend? if it even matters haha.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the 42DD ones, perfect fit and no play at all. I think they are like $30 or something. Otherwise, you can get creative and try skateboard bearings. Used to do that on DSMs all the time. Not sure if they will fit in the space you have on the VWs though.

Alright i'll look into those 30 bucks isnt bad at all and btw i'm diggin the username... hahaha thats so sick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts