Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tommorrow I have to go and get my alternator replaced in my jetta. Cost is $410. Also today my window fell in on the drivers side only a few minutes after I fixed the passengers window button on the passenger door. The local vw shop quoted $150 for regulator and bits, but on ebay there are metal regulator kits for $30. Should I buy it and get the guy to work on it??? Man it's been a stressful day. :(

·
2000 GLS 2.0 AEG
499 Posts
Even with only the most basic mechanical skills, changing an alternator is an easy DIY job. A new one should cost you about $190 at your FLAPS and take only about an hour of your time...Mike

·
Registered
139 Posts
So tommorrow I have to go and get my alternator replaced in my jetta. Cost is $410. Also today my window fell in on the drivers side only a few minutes after I fixed the passengers window button on the passenger door. The local vw shop quoted $150 for regulator and bits, but on ebay there are metal regulator kits for $30. Should I buy it and get the guy to work on it??? Man it's been a stressful day. :(
my window fell in when i was getting my tires replaced. the guy shut my door and my window dropped out. he looked up a few articles that i guess vw released, saying it wasnt an official recall but more of a "hey you guys may wanna do this to your windows to keep it from happening again". ill see if i can find it, gives you a DIY to fix the issue instead of half ass riggin it.

edit: cant find it right now, but i remember it being somewhat of an easy fix instead of the 150 for the regulator and everything. but i may or prolly am wrong.

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
my pasenger side window fell out as well, if you buy the regulator somewhere and take it to the VW dealership they will not install it, it has to be a part through them, anywho here's where I got my regulator and a DIY on it

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...echanical_-ar-_trim/window_regulator_kit.html <-- where I got my regulator

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1015107 <-- DIY for window regulator

the alternator is a tricky fix, I would not count on 1 hour to replace the alternator, you have to take the front end off and what not, I actually just got done replacing my alternator it took me around 2 days of working on it after work till about 10 each night it not really hard its just tedious but here's a DIY for the altenator

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...r-in-a-MK-IV-12v-VR6&highlight=alternator+diy <-- DIY for Alternator

·
Knight of the 3rd Pedal
497 Posts
ECS has alternators on sale for 70 bux. Takes maybe an hour to do if you have problems. I did not have to take off the front end.

No clue about the regulator thought. I would follow ^

·
2000 GLS 2.0 AEG
499 Posts
...the alternator is a tricky fix, I would not count on 1 hour to replace the alternator, you have to take the front end off...
Skimmer, what engine do you have? I've replaced the alternator twice on my 2.0 and both times it was under an hour (although, depending on what tools you have, you might have to make a quick run with the old alternator to a local shop so they can use their impact gun to get the old pulley off). Other than that, it was disconnect two wires, remove two bolts, and then remove tension from the drive belt to slip it out. Install was exactly the reverse, as I recall....Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
Skimmer, what engine do you have? I've replaced the alternator twice on my 2.0 and both times it was under an hour (although, depending on what tools you have, you might have to make a quick run with the old alternator to a local shop so they can use their impact gun to get the old pulley off). Other than that, it was disconnect two wires, remove two bolts, and then remove tension from the drive belt to slip it out. Install was exactly the reverse, as I recall....Mike
I have a VR so its imposible to touch the alternator without taking the front end off, but in a 2.0 i could see how its a quick fix(lucky bastards) there's no need to take off the front end, I did use my impact gun to get the pulley off so that wasn't taking up time, it was the hole removing of the front end

·
2000 GLS 2.0 AEG
499 Posts
^^^ Bummer...I'm thinking my next MK4 might be a VR, so that's good info to keep in the back of my mind.

I don't know what kind of engine the OP has....<...sigh...>....if I were King of Jetta Junkie for a day, I would require everyone to add their year/model/engine/tranny to their avatar or signature. Oh, and where they live, too. (looking for smiley with crown on head -- doesn't exist! OK, I'd change that, too!) Mike

·
Jetta Junkie Moderator
2,922 Posts
..if I were King of Jetta Junkie for a day, I would require everyone to add their year/model/engine/tranny to their avatar or signature.
no......the person with the question/problem needs to be more specific on what they have for a motor and transmission. i cant read minds on what they have lol.

·
2000 GLS 2.0 AEG
499 Posts
That's why I'm saying I'd make it mandatory. No car info, no approval. As for location, maybe vBulletin has a feature that will auto-populate where they're located based on their IP address.... Mike

·
Jetta Junkie Moderator
2,922 Posts
That's why I'm saying I'd make it mandatory. No car info, no approval. As for location, maybe vBulletin has a feature that will auto-populate where they're located based on their IP address.... Mike
eh, i think thats too over the top. anyways keep it on topic alright?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no......the person with the question/problem needs to be more specific on what they have for a motor and transmission. i cant read minds on what they have lol.
Sorry, my car is a 2.0, 5 speed manual, I wanna say AEG I fixed the window myself. There was a recall, only lasting 6 years after the cars purchase. But the vw dealer sells repair kits for $70 so I bought one and replaced it in 3 hours. The guide was on vw vortex and wasn't too difficult. The most difficult part was getting the extremely tight metal wire onto the pullys!! Thanks for the advice, all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts