Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all of you. I posted a LOOONG time ago but have not been actively engaged since then. I recently gave my '09 GLI a good hand washing and detail, something I don't do nearly as often as I would like (I live in a condo complex where access to a spigot is tough), but after doing so it reminded me how much I love my car and how excited I was about finding this forum. So what did I do? Whipped out my iPhone and took some pics and made a decision to get involved.

I have a 2009 GLI, white with the plaid interior (is that standard on all GLIs?). I love the car in general, but my favorite feature is the interior. It is a really unique and distinctive touch that VW put on the car that you don't see from hardly any other mfg, and it always gets comments from first-time passengers when they sit down (there is a pic in my profile). I have always been a Nissan man, starting with my '93 Altima that I got as a gift from my dad as my first car in 1998, on through his '01 Maxima SE, followed by an '05 350Z Enthusiast and then a '06 Pathfinder S. But after the lease ran out on my Pathfinder I was forced to explore other options, as I was in a tight financial situation and Nissan was not willing to work with me (I was in school getting my MBA at the time). This was in September 2009. I had just gotten my wife a 2009 Jetta 2.5L, and had a great experience with Hallmark VW. I was wanting to get myself something practical (we had a baby on the way), but also something with some sporty DNA. There was only ONE GLI in the entire Middle TN area at the time at Hallmark in Rivergate. I took one test drive and was hooked. They cut me a deal (below invoice) on a $0 down lease and off we drove. I have never regretted my decision once - this car is AWESOME! I love the handling, the get-up-and-go, the extra punch you feel with turbo kicks in (it is my first experience with a turbocharged car, BTW). It has a real solid, sports car feel, gets great mpg, and is something I feel proud to get into every day and drive out of my complex. Not to mention, I think the design team did a great job with the overall setup - the lines are clean. The extra touches on the 2009 GLI are nice - not overbearing but enough to set it apart distinctly from the other trim packages. Especially the honeycomb grill and blacked out nose -very nice.

OK - enough rambling. I was not a VW guy up until I got this car (I am a huge fan now) and have been away from the auto enthusiast world for a while (did I mention I had a kid born recently?!?). I am definitely considering enhancement options for my car, but will likely wait until my lease is up (Sep. 2012 at the latest), or at least until I know for sure I am going to keep the car. I have many many questions about the engine, mods, installation tips, etc., but those will follow later. I look forward to meeting all of you. Please feel free to check out my profile, pictures and the like, and leave me a note if you stop by. Oh - and the pictures I referred to earlier in this post are below...Keep in mind the photo quality is not great, as they were taken with my iPhone.

If there are any other Nashville-ians on this forum, let me know!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Volkswagen Full-size car Land vehicle Vehicle Car Volkswagen Motor vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Car Volkswagen Alloy wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat Car seat cover Land vehicle Vehicle Car Volkswagen gti Volkswagen

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Very clean. What are your plans for mods?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks Vixen.
While still some ways off, I would like to lay the blueprint for my mods so I can be organized. I am really open to suggestions, but I plan to do more performance mods than cosmetics. I may lower the car a bit, tint the windows, and add a few touches like changing badges, fog lights, etc., but in general I want the exterior to look stock.

As far as performance mods, I have never had a GLI before, so I don't know what would be the best place to start. My thinking is that I could start with the intake / exhaust systems, but I don't really know where to go from there. Do you have any suggestions? I am open to anything, and that is part of the reason I joined this forum :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts