21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thnx mate,,I was really hoping to get some help..Im thinking she broke

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe.
Seemed like were only three guys that ever commented.
1 was helpful...lol.

What was your deleted post about?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
well..seemings u asked...lol
I tried everything I can possibly imagine before I reached out for help, and I swear Im going to take a hammer to it next unless someone can take a few minutes and try to help me figure this out. PLEASE someone help..Here is the scenario. Just dropped a fresh engine in my jetta, 2000 Mk4 2.0L, non turbo gasoline. While I had the engine on a stand I replaced all sensors, cam, crank, coolant, knock, both 02, vehicle speed, new fuel pump. Fuel filter seems to be flowing , I have 35 lbs before the regulator. Timing is dead nuts, verified once again before i sat down to type this. Car starts then dies immediately there after, allmost like imob issue. Hooked it to my vcds lite and that is showing no codes, imob light is not present in either the vcds scan or dash light. Car starts, runs great for a 30 seconds or so ..then flat dies, doesn't sputter like its fuel starved, dies like someone unplugged it. Turn the key and starts right up again. Suggestions anyone?? I can post a vag scan if needed. Thanks guys
UPDATED 1/6/2020
Forgot some potentially pertinent info: Just dawned on me that around the same time all these issues statrted happening I had an 02 sensor, downstream short out on me. im thinkin to myself,,no effin way certainly VW had the foresite to add a fuse between my 02 and Ecu. can anyone verify that for me plz. But then im wondering if I had fried my ecu why is vcds chatting with it? Argggg

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wish I could help you. Seems like you have a good grasp on what's going on.
I'm a Honda guy, who occaisionaly gets stuck working on the wifes Jetta.

It's the middle of the night in the USA (where the admins are). Hopefully all this activity catches their eye and they lay some good advice on you.

Best of luck!
Special K

Good luck

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Were you able to see my last post with the questions I asked?

My questions were:

1. Have you tried another key/fob to try and start the car?

2. Is the fuel pump shutting off? Does the engine stutter like starving fuel or run ok and shut off? See if you can check the fuel pump relay to check voltage driving it. If you have vcds, you can turn on/off the relay with the software.

3. Check your battery voltage. And make sure you don’t have any grounds that became loose when you changed out the motor.

Let us know. Dont throw in the hammer yet. Never give up. I am still (6 months later) trying to figure out a p0011 code on my 2005.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Were you able to see my last post with the questions I asked?

My questions were:

1. Have you tried another key/fob to try and start the car?

2. Is the fuel pump shutting off? Does the engine stutter like starving fuel or run ok and shut off? See if you can check the fuel pump relay to check voltage driving it. If you have vcds, you can turn on/off the relay with the software.

3. Check your battery voltage. And make sure you don’t have any grounds that became loose when you changed out the motor.

Let us know. Dont throw in the hammer yet. Never give up. I am still (6 months later) trying to figure out a p0011 code on my 2005.
Matt

shoot my bad ,,I miusta missed your questions..so here we go.*update
fuel pump is continues to hum after shut down, evidently I had more than one thing go wrong simultaneously. First was my downstream 02 shorted out and fried a portion of my ecm even tho it still retained communication with vcds. So ecm was gone. I swapped the ecm and managed to get past the imo so that part is solved,,I HOPE. Now if I could just get past this throttle issue. Im attaching a full scan to this. There are a bunch of codes, most are from my door panles and seats being removed at the moment, the ones that are irritating me are the throttle body. Ive tried 3 Tb's and they all give same error. Anyone know where i should begin??

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are you sure you replaced the motor with the same designation as the original. AEG, BEV, BBW. The letters are called out on the timing belt cover.

Just asking the question because someone not in the know could have just bought a 2.0 from the same year and not realized there is a significant difference and the ecm won’t like it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you sure you replaced the motor with the same designation as the original. AEG, BEV, BBW. The letters are called out on the timing belt cover.

Just asking the question because someone not in the know could have just bought a 2.0 from the same year and not realized there is a significant difference and the ecm won’t like it

can you maybe elaborate aliitle bit on what the differences would be? You are correct tho, when i purchased the engine it never dawned on me to check that. Fitment was checked by vin..now im curious

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can you maybe elaborate aliitle bit on what the differences would be? You are correct tho, when i purchased the engine it never dawned on me to check that. Fitment was checked by vin..now im curious
this is the error Im getting now
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 06A 906 018 JJ
Component: 2.0l R4/2V MOTR HS V01
Coding: 00031
Shop #: WSC 26149
VCID: 7399ECB052AD
1 Fault Found:
17988 - Throttle Actuator (Bank 1): Malfunction
P1580 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 0110 1101

·
Registered
18 Posts
The ecm looks for different feedback from sensors, etc on the different engines. If you post the number off of your ecm, should be able to tell you what engine should be in car and tranny, etc.

Let me know

·
Registered
18 Posts
That controller number is the ecm. That number refers to a 2000-2001 jetta 2.0l with automatic. AEG should be the engine code that is in your car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That controller number is the ecm. That number refers to a 2000-2001 jetta 2.0l with automatic. AEG should be the engine code that is in your car

Ok so , this engine was replaced once before I took ownership, and I never thought to check if the first swapper installed the correct engine. So I went back to the chassis itself and verifide that the engine code from factory was AEG. The engine that I installed is Engine 2.0L Gasoline VIN T 5th Digit Engine ID Aeg Fits 98-01 BEETLE. Fifth digit of my vin is C..do you see a conflict anywhere that I should maybe take a look at? Thanks for helping me with this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The ecm looks for different feedback from sensors, etc on the different engines. If you post the number off of your ecm, should be able to tell you what engine should be in car and tranny, etc.

Let me know

Controller: 06A 906 018 JJ is my ecm correct?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so , this engine was replaced once before I took ownership, and I never thought to check if the first swapper installed the correct engine. So I went back to the chassis itself and verifide that the engine code from factory was AEG. The engine that I installed is Engine 2.0L Gasoline VIN T 5th Digit Engine ID Aeg Fits 98-01 BEETLE. Fifth digit of my vin is C..do you see a conflict anywhere that I should maybe take a look at? Thanks for helping me with this.
may i ask how 06A 906 018 JJ translates to 2000-2001 jetta 2.0l with automatic. AEG ? plz

·
Registered
18 Posts

May I suggest you use both of these. Also make sure your electrical connectors are not oxidized or corroded. Apply some dielectric grease to the pins on the connectors and make sure they are seated completely

1 - 20 of 22 Posts