Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I guess this will be the obligatory BEFORE picture, since I will be doing a couple of restorations/mods on this baby just to make it look clean :)

Last month, I was able to save enough money and had a rare luxury to purchase a used 2K Jetta 2.0 GLS Automatic from a common friend in Fremont, CA. This is my first car ever and I am totally loving the handling and acceleration of this car compared to the rental cars in the same class I am used to drive for work. I love driving the Freeways now with this baby.

Today, I had my baptism in fire because the battery died on me and had to jumpstart it. Immediately ran to the nearest Kragens to have it checked and they did find the battery is almost dead. Being a 100% noob in automobiles, I had to use my Android Phone and Google "How to change the battery of a Jetta 200 GLS" keywords that same instant because they cannot change the battery, I have to remove and replace it on my own. Oh $h!t, I have ZERO knowledge in cars and this is my first time doing this, and I do not even have the right tools with me.

How do you replace the battery on a 2000 VW Jetta?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_replace_the_battery_on_a_2000_VW_Jetta

Nevertheless I did my best and I was able to remove old battery and replace it with the new one in about an hour and 30 minutes, and I owe 2 guys at Kragen's Union Square, Jesus and Joel, (Jesus, seriously, my savior, lol) for sticking with me, lending me the tools, a flashlight, and making sure I did everything correctly without the battery being loose within the enclosure. They close 9PM PST and I was done by 9:30PM PST.

I must say, removing and replacing the battery was a hard task, but good thing you can find anything on the Internet nowadays and someone will always be there to lend a hand.

My next project is to replace the front bumper and the two side mirrors. I heard it is going to be tricky since power window requires removing the entire door panel.

Wish me luck guys and more power to Jetta Junkie!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Welcome and good show on the mobile search O0 You'll find with these cars that anything you want to do, or any problems you have are pretty well documented on the internet and a solution is usually only a google search away. Get some pics up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@TooTalVR6
Thank you Sir! And there you go, edited my maiden post and included a crappy pix :)

·
Living in the Apex
1,331 Posts
FINALLY a newbee that knows how to SEARCH! lol

Welcome and nice ride.

I would suggest (now that you have a new battery in there) to go back to auto zone or kragen and have them test the charging system on your car just to rule it out.

Batteries do die out after a while but it's always a good idea to check the charging system before you ruin another battery because your charging system is bad.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FINALLY a newbee that knows how to SEARCH! lol

Welcome and nice ride.

I would suggest (now that you have a new battery in there) to go back to auto zone or kragen and have them test the charging system on your car just to rule it out.

Batteries do die out after a while but it's always a good idea to check the charging system before you ruin another battery because your charging system is bad.
Thanks man! I will definitely have the charging system checked; dropping by at a nearby Kragen's around lunch time, 2 hours from now.

·
Living in the Apex
1,331 Posts
Thanks man! I will definitely have the charging system checked; dropping by at a nearby Kragen's around lunch time, 2 hours from now.

Cool.

BTW what's up with your front bumper and side mirrors? They look fine.

Are you thinking of putting on some aftermarket body parts?

If so, even though they look cool they might wind up looking out of place because it's so far from the original body lines.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cool.

BTW what's up with your front bumper and side mirrors? They look fine.

Are you thinking of putting on some aftermarket body parts?

If so, even though they look cool they might wind up looking out of place because it's so far from the original body lines.
Here's what needs fixin':

1. Driver Side Mirror
- Power not working on both side mirrors
- Duct tape wrapped on it, possible minor crack or damage, haven't got the chance to remove and see.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/guerilla7/IMAG0111.jpg

2. Front Bumper
- Took a glimpse underneath and there is 5 to 6 inches tear on the lower lip, hence the black duct tape.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/guerilla7/IMAG0113.jpg

3. Driver's Side Door Panel
- Duct tape present because the panel is loose, not sure how it happened.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/guerilla7/IMAG0117.jpg

I was hoping to get all the replacement parts here:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/

Is that retailer good? If not can you guys recommend any retailers here in the NorCal Area to get those replaced? I just want to restore it to its former spanking glory; after all those necessities maybe a bigger set of black rims + tires, and black grills in front and dark green color on the brake pads, that's about it, honestly. I'd welcome any Borla Exhaust Systems donation, lol!

Comments and suggestions highly appreciated.
Thanks guys!

·
Living in the Apex
1,331 Posts
Autopartswarehouse.com is good but limited on "actuality" knowledge for parts. ecstuning.com is a much better retailer and has a much better cust service dept.

As far as junkyards I'm in the bay area as well and I would highly suggest Pick 'N Pull. They'll charge you like $5 to get into the junkyard to poke around but they will most likely have a "retired" MK4 like yours sitting in there. Just bring a tool box of sockets and wrenches and probably a 1 or 2 hundred dollars to cover the cost of parts you find there. Pick 'N Pull is a goldmind for finding stuff like that and I'm pretty sure you're not too far from one. Oh and don't worry about not knowing how to get parts off the junked car. It's JUNKED. Take your time messing and don't worry about screwing anything up (don't screw up the part you want of course) AND you get to learn how to take off the part so you can put it on your car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, already made my research and there's a couple of Pick N Pull's near my place, nearest is Newark. Probably drop by there as soon as my schedule clears up. Let me head over to ecstuning.com then, you guys are awesome.

Quick noobie question, is there an existing guide already here at the forums on how to replace the power mirrors? Because I do know that I have to deal with the door panels and remove them, etc. (step-by-step)

Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Unfortunately we don't have a DIY for replacing the power mirrors, HOWEVER, I highly suggest downloading the .PDF file we have here of the MK4 Bentley manual, it will tell you how to do basically everything and anything on your mark4. It can be found in the DIY section in the master diy list, or in the n00b guide at the top of the mk4 section.

Also, you won't have to replace your whole bumper, just your front valance. That's about a $100 difference haha.

·
Living in the Apex
1,331 Posts
Quick noobie question, is there an existing guide already here at the forums on how to replace the power mirrors? Because I do know that I have to deal with the door panels and remove them, etc. (step-by-step)

Thanks again guys!
The mirrors are pretty simple. I found this little write up that might help you along:

Instructions
Things You'll Need:

• Phillips-head screwdriver
  • Replacement side mirror assembly

1. Step 1
    Open the door and locate the plastic panel on the inside of the door opposite the side mirror. Pull it off of the door using your hands to release the clips on the panel.
  2. Step 2
    Pull the insulation off of the door panel, then unplug the wiring harness to the mirror using your hands, assuming you have power windows.
  3. Step 3
    Unscrew the mirror from the window using the Phillips-head screwdriver. Pull off the old mirror and discard it. Then hold the replacement mirror and screw it in place using the Phillips-head screwdriver. Reconnect the electrical wiring using your hands, then reinstall the insulation and push the interior panel back in place.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately we don't have a DIY for replacing the power mirrors, HOWEVER, I highly suggest downloading the .PDF file we have here of the MK4 Bentley manual, it will tell you how to do basically everything and anything on your mark4. It can be found in the DIY section in the master diy list, or in the n00b guide at the top of the mk4 section.

Also, you won't have to replace your whole bumper, just your front valance. That's about a $100 difference haha.
lol! Yep! And this I just found out 30 minutes ago via ECSTuning.com! Thank you Sir!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The mirrors are pretty simple. I found this little write up that might help you along:

Instructions
Things You'll Need:

• Phillips-head screwdriver
  • Replacement side mirror assembly

1. Step 1
    Open the door and locate the plastic panel on the inside of the door opposite the side mirror. Pull it off of the door using your hands to release the clips on the panel.
  2. Step 2
    Pull the insulation off of the door panel, then unplug the wiring harness to the mirror using your hands, assuming you have power windows.
  3. Step 3
    Unscrew the mirror from the window using the Phillips-head screwdriver. Pull off the old mirror and discard it. Then hold the replacement mirror and screw it in place using the Phillips-head screwdriver. Reconnect the electrical wiring using your hands, then reinstall the insulation and push the interior panel back in place.

Awesomeness! Thanks guys, someday I will be able to repay all your help in this forum. Just bring your computers, Cisco stuff at my place and I will fix it for free :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet! Headed to Pick N Pull @ Newark this weekend :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I will keep that in mind man, thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts