Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal, read carefully..................

1. Took a 100 mile round trip yesterday to a hobby store
2. Parked car at an Ace haerdware store to get a couple things.....came out and the car wouldn't even crank!! Got a boost and it fired right up. Had charging system checked 15 minutes later at an Autozone and was told it needed a new regulator, but battery is OK.
New day....
3. Backed car into driveway, disconnected the battery, cleaned terminals and now it won't start. Craknsk over ok, but no fuel! It acts like it's not getting fuel!!! Engine fires up the instant key is turned to "start", but dies immediately, no matter how many time you hit the key. No sound from transfer pump in the tank either!

I have looked all over the net for the past hour to find out where the fuse is for the transfer pump and NO ONE says anything about this!!!!

Call me if you can at 815-9seven3-8one28. Phil

HELP!!!! .....and thanks!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monday night...............

You probably won't believe this, but on Saturday, after reading dozens of posts on the net, I checked the status of my check engine and glow plug lights, then tested the current at the fuel shut-off solenoid and came the conclusion that my problem HAD to be with the transfer pump. No doubt about it.

So I popped out the back seat, went to test the pump circuit with a test light and BINGO - the goofy car fired right up!!! WITHOUT the transfer pump being plugged in!!! REALLY!!!

Then I plugged it back in, let the car run a few minutes and went to get a gallon of milk (that was Sunday) and has been running ok ever since!!!

I am convinced that by putting my battery charger on boost for a couple minutes it caused whatever circuit was amiss to arc and burn off whatever corrosion was causing it to not carry current, but will carry my booster box alone in case I have to rig a hotwire up to the transfer pump of it messes up on me again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A clogged or dirty diesel fuel filter will sometimes allow the car to start, then choke the engine to a stop by robbing it of enough fuel to keep going.

I keep a spare fuel filter in the back because they aren't so easy to find outside the big cities, if you need one NOW.

Just something to consider next time.

Cheers,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts