Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay I have a 2001 VW Bora. I’ve spent about $3000 in total on it for a body kit, exhaust, stereo system etc. I don’t really want to spend any more money as I’m only 18, but cannot live with having normal yellow halogen lights. I bought myself 7500k xenon bulbs fro main/hi beam and fog lights. These were fitted yesterday and the difference was amazing.

The purpose for this thread is, my headlight lens is "cloudy" and one of them is beginning to yellow (slightly), but they are both badly clouded. I used a cut back polish on it (not intended for plastic) and it made a small difference. also, they look much clearer when wet but when the moisture dries up, the cloudiness returns. Is there anything I can buy to completely clean up the headlights to a like new condition?? Or can any one recommend what they've done, what the results were and how much it cost.

Cheers guys

By the way, this was my first post. I looked for a topic on this using search and couldn’t find it so if I missed it just point me in the right direction

Thanx

·
Fukenmüven
1,014 Posts
you have a couple options. the reason you are getting the cloudy/yellowed look to your headlights is that there are scratches that are building up on them, that is why when you wash your car and the lights get wet and look really clean it is because the water is filling in all the scratches.

1. you can get a scratch removing polish from walmart for a couple dollars, i used this stuff called Scratch Out it costs like $2. what you need to do then is used a sander/polisher or a buffer and apply it just like you were polishing your car, do this as much as needed, the sander/polisher is what i used because it has faster revolutions and i could apply more pressure. what you need to do after you have them cleaned up you need to apply some polish to them to basically give them a little protection. this method is not a permanent fix, but it is relatively fast and cheap.

2. you can do the wet sanding method. you will need to get 600, 800, and 1000 grit sand paper (correct me if i am wrong), and basically all you do then is start with the lowest number(roughest) and work your way to the highest number(smoothest). there is probably something else that needs to be done with this one but i can't think of it. this method takes a few hours.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
I think a DIY is in order Vicky lol

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
No ****, I've been meaning to do it but I've been working on finding a coolant leak (found it today) gotta order a damn part though.

I've got the weekend off, maybe I'll do it then. My headlights aren't too bad though.

·
You can call me God
719 Posts
Here's the results I got using the sandpaper method.
http://jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/showthread.php/headlight-restoration-semicomplete-3862.html?t=3862

You can find some good DIY's on Youtube telling you how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LCUGZd3tWw&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVuf0-0rKiU
That guy has allot of good videos telling you exactly how to do it. Great DIY.
I couldn't find the compound he was talking about... So I just used a turtle wax rubbing compound I got from autozone and it worked good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used a product by 3M. You can usually find it by the headlight bulbs at the auto parts store (I got it from autozone). Basically it is a disc sander adapter that fits on a drill. You sand the headlight with different grades of sandpaper and then you buff the headlight.

Before

After

Link to the product

·
AllShoNoGo
2,465 Posts
you know that sounds like it actually would work..abraisive enough to remove the tarnish but not enough to totally scratch it up..sweet idea!

and very ghetto

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
I used a product by 3M. You can usually find it by the headlight bulbs at the auto parts store (I got it from autozone). Basically it is a disc sander adapter that fits on a drill. You sand the headlight with different grades of sandpaper and then you buff the headlight.

Before

After

Link to the product

I used the wet sanding method, meguairs kit and the 3M kit and the 3M worths the best IMO but meguairs did well the the wet sanding only helped a little bit.

·
Pancake
671 Posts
you know that sounds like it actually would work..abraisive enough to remove the tarnish but not enough to totally scratch it up..sweet idea!

and very ghetto
It does work. Did it on the old Aerostar van we had, and seen it on a few shows on TV. In the end, you get clean headlights and 90% of a tube of toothpaste to have fun with, and cheaper than alot of the **** out there. Its a win win win.

·
JettaJunkie Infant..lol
2,608 Posts
It does work. Did it on the old Aerostar van we had, and seen it on a few shows on TV. In the end, you get clean headlights and 90% of a tube of toothpaste to have fun with, and cheaper than alot of the **** out there. Its a win win win.
hmmm, very clever. may have to try on my old lights.

·
AllShoNoGo
2,465 Posts
with the plastic lenses I would just wet sand and spray bomb clear, glass ones..good ol' rinse and shine with CLR...
I WANT YELLOW LIGHTS NEED TO USE UP SOME COLGATE XMASS PASTE..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts