Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new here, I am a ling time DIY home mechanic and I do all of the work on my Jeep and Truck. For some reason the brakes on my 2007 Jetta are giving me trouble. I cannot get the caliper piston to retract. I dont know what is going on, I have loosened the brake container cap, tried opening the bleed screw, and I even removed the parking brake cable and spring. What in the world do I need to do?:mad:
Thanks!

·
Visiting Old Volks Home
150 Posts
You need a c clamp and a block of wood. Put the block on the piston and apply c clamp. It will retract slowly. Turn and hold for two seconds before turning again. So you don't blow a line or hurt your master cylinder diaphragm.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615584,-88.302897

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried that using the old pad (inlieu of the block of wood) and it would not budge. I went to buy one of those impot tools that requires you to screw it in and still nothing. I am thinking that it got so over extended that it is now toast.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
DO NOT USE A C CLAMP AND A BLOCK OF WOOD. It will destroy the emergancy brake and you will need new calipers if you force it. There is a special tool for rear brakes on the newer cars (not just vw). You can find cheap ones, or whole kits that have adapters for other brands as well.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Jetta/Brake/157/22 all the way at the bottom of the page. That or something similar is what you need. I have one if your in or around PA.

·
H.M.F.I.C.
646 Posts
Forcing the piston will cause problems with the ABS. The piston most likely has to thread back, they make a tool that grabs the piston and slightly pushes as it turns. If you crank on it and it just spins then its bad. Good luck.

·
Registered
493 Posts
DO NOT USE A C CLAMP AND A BLOCK OF WOOD. It will destroy the emergancy brake and you will need new calipers if you force it. There is a special tool for rear brakes on the newer cars (not just vw). You can find cheap ones, or whole kits that have adapters for other brands as well.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Jetta/Brake/157/22 all the way at the bottom of the page. That or something similar is what you need. I have one if your in or around PA.

You can use a C clamp all ya want, just make sure you rotate the piston with a channel locks or something at the same time.

OP, make sure cap is off the resvoir too. Otherwise I got nothin for ya. Ive always used a clamp and channel locks. works every time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to the parts store and rented the tool to compress it properly, I also noticed that in the process of trying to rotate with channel locks I made a small tear in the piston boot. I ordered a rebuild kit with new seals and a boot so that I can replace the one I tore, (its only going to take a week:mad:). So hopefully it will be ok until then and I hope that it will compress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it compressed and also did great with the other side. However now I have too much play in the petal. I am going to bleed the lines and see if that fixes it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts