Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an '01 jetta 2.0 with a 5 speed manual. Does anyone know how much hp an torque the tranny can take before it starts to cause damage. The car has around 135k and I have a K&N cold air intake in the short ram configuration if that's helpful.

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
So I have an '01 jetta 2.0 with a 5 speed manual. Does anyone know how much hp an torque the tranny can take before it starts to cause damage. The car has around 135k and I have a K&N cold air intake in the short ram configuration if that's helpful.
You plan on turboing or supercharging?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably turbo if i was going to go with forced induction. I know that I shouldn't go much over 6 psi with stock internals. I was planning on putting a magnaflow exhaust system and reprogramming the ecu, I have just heard some places that early mk4 trannys aren't that strong

·
Registered
223 Posts
Probably turbo if i was going to go with forced induction. I know that I shouldn't go much over 6 psi with stock internals. I was planning on putting a magnaflow exhaust system and reprogramming the ecu, I have just heard some places that early mk4 trannys aren't that strong
stock internals are rated for about 300 wtq I believe, psi doesnt really matter as long as you arent exceeding that limit. I know plenty of people running 15+ psi on stock internals (chipped). Heck, just getting a tune generally increases psi, and most people tune first, than add power after that without touching internals. with the 2.0, I wouldnt worry about it, turbo kits for the 2.0 are super expensive, to the point it makes more sense to sell the 2.0 and by a VR or 1.8t to get the power you're looking for. not saying don't, if you want to turbo a 2.0 as a project thats great, but I've been through the same thought processes with my 2.0 and just not worth it.

but my point is, you can go for more than 6 psi if you turbo, just make sure to not exceed 300 wtq (even 250 if you want to play it safe). with the 2.0 still naturally aspirated tho, you'll have a hard time passing that 300 mark tho so dont worry about it til than. my 2.0 is chipped for 91 octane and running a CAI and never dynod but even in theory the 115 base with ~20 hp chipped and another ~10 hp CAI'd im not even close to pushing 150 (at the wheels probably closer to like 120 lol). So youll need to update the internals more than likely anyway to pass the 300, and with price of turbos your better off doing the internals anyway to free up power, than wont have to worry about it if you decide to TC/SC it as theyll already be beefed up and you will have been enjoying the increased performance for probably awhile before you afford the turbo lol.

rereading this it seems kind of confusing and i dont want to clarify the stuff i already wrote so:
-beef up the internals if you want power, this will give you cost effective power now well you wait for/decide on a TC/SC, and if you decide you want one, your internals are now able to handle that stress.
-chip it in the mean time, you have a CAI which is a good start to power/responsiveness (more the latter)

sorry if i confused you more lol >.<

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
The tranny should be alright if its a 5 spd as long as youve kept up on maintenence and upgrade your clutchm the main thing is you shouldnt turbo a car with that many miles. You should rebuild the engine first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it was me instead of dropping money in a rebuild and internals and boost (because after that youll be in a few thousand if i was to guess) i would look into a 1.8 or vr swap and go from there. Just my 2 cents cause youll be in so deep with your 2.0, you could 1.8 swap and do a tune and small stuff on it and be around mid 2's in horse. Or even vr swap and save your money and boost it and be over three easy since stock internals on vr's can handle like 350 close to 4 safely.

·
Senior citizen member
670 Posts
Your transmission will be fine. I ran over 15psi with stock transmission and even the stock clutch for awhile, than I swapped a 1.8t clutch and flywheel and the transmission is still going strong.

And I dont go easy on it either, it has seen countless wheel spin to 8k rpms on 19" wheels without a hiccup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts