Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

How To Remove Your Rear MKIV Emblem

48K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Michael_Westen 
#1 ·
So I've had some people ask me how, and I figured since I wanted to paint my rear emblem back to a solid black anyways, I'd snap some photos and make a little DIY.

So its not as simple as on a GTI, where you can just take it off. You have to remove the whole trunk lock mechanism. Don't worry, its pretty easy. It takes about 5-10 minutes tops. First off you'll need these items:

Screw driver
torx bit
a flat blade screw driver
(optional) little scraper tool of some sort.
tub or bowl for screws

So first off, open your trunk and look at the carpet liner. There will be little screws, camoflauged with fuzz (Circled in red below). take these out slowly as they aren't the greatest quality, and strip easily.

Wiggle it off and set it somewhere safe. you'll see the trunk mechanism.

It looks a bit overwhelming, but its actually very simple. First thing you do is remove this orange plug from the white clips. pull it out gently and then take your flat blade. Stick it in the little hole and wiggle it to one side with a bit of pressure until it releases.

Follow the right side until you come to a small clip that holds the wire in place. remove the wire from the clip, and let it hang.

This where things get a bit tight. If you look at the trunk mechanism, youll see a black plastic clamp (circled in red) around a piece of metal. the plastic just clamps around the metal, and it will just flap open when you pull on side of it back. If the clamp doesnt open almost immediately, your probably doing it wrong. don't break anything!

Next is the most annoying part, especially if you have big hands. There will be 3 torx head screws in a triangle around the trunk lock that hold the whole thing in place. the first two on the left are circled in red below.

The last one is RIGHT against the mechanism (circled in red below), and a real pain to get out. Just take your time and dont strip it.

Once you do this, just push the mechanism up through the hole. the rubber sealent piece might stick. so just shove it a bit.

this is what the whole thing looks like when you take it out.

To remove the emblem from the mechanism, there are a couple small screws on the back, and then double sided sticky tape stuff holds the emblem to the black backing piece and the rubber sealant piece. (I've seen some MKIV's that have something else holding the emblem onto the lock mechanism, rivets or something. Sorry if your car has these, mine was just sticky tape). when you put your emblem back together, use double sided sticky tape or something that can be removed. DO NOT use super glue in case you want to repaint it or something.

Just reverse the process to put it back in there. The only thing to worry about is when you put the carpet liner in, make sure the screws go in straight, or else you can't put the last few in, and some get stripped.

See less See more
#4 ·
no problem guys! If you have any questions, just let me know. I also put this in the official DIY list, so if you cant find this thread later on just check there.

#7 ·
^^

Good luck with the emergency handle.

I just squeezed my hand in there and wiggled the cable around until it came off the handle. I never to the handle connected back to the cable. If you do get it off and manage to get it back on when you are done, let me know.

#10 ·
The PO had been in a front fender bender and had been rear ended. Repairs were made, but you can definitely tell from the front that the hood doesn't quite fit flush with the left tail light. I'm thinking the emergency trunk hatch had been damaged in the collision, and I don't think the hatch even works. But I got it all figured out.

#8 ·
take a pic enjoi? maybe i can help. Mine is a 2000, and I think when i was fixing my trunk a while ago we figured out that It doesnt have an emergency release thing. guess i better not get locked in my trunk lol

#9 ·

No worries. Me and my Dad figured it out. I just got my front and trunk emblems in the mail today, as well as my German plate. We worked with the carpeting hanging in the way which was a pain in the ass. But we worked around it. Tell me what you think.

#11 ·
sweet man, I love that color jetta by the way. If i were you, I'd look at painting the grille black, and getting textured rub strips, they go really well with that color.

#12 ·
Thanks man :). I was thinking about painting the grille black but I don't think the VW would show very well. I like how the colors contrast against each other now. I want to get smoked side blinkers to match the tail lights I have coming in the mail.

#14 ·
I was just wondering how you get the cover off in step one there if your Jetta has one of those safety handles you can pull so you don't lock yourself in the trunk, I took the cover off but could not figure out how to disconnect the cable the goes to the handle, and thus could not go any further.

Thanks

#15 ·
I couldn't figure out how to disconnect it either. Mainly because mine has been busted from the PO, but I managed to work around the cover hanging there as long as you have someone holding it out of your way.

#21 ·
Anybody want a shaved DIY for the rear hatch? I dont have pics but im sure i can find em and its pretty easy. if you can weld or know someone who can? Dont know if anyone is into the movement.

#23 ·
I'm into in Ryan just would have to go get it painted again and that is the sucky part lol. I am going to shave mine eventually but I am going to look and do it on a euro trunk lid instead.

Shawn
yeah id def. get one if i had a jetta. But luckily i dont and i can just rip mine off and even better...paint doesnt cost any $. RAT FTW!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.