Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new on here and i need some advice. i got a 98 jetta GL for free from my grandmother because unfortunately she can no longer drive. So instead of buying a new car I figure it would be dumb not to take it. In some what of an unfortunate way ive had the pleasure of driving my parents cars which far out preform a stock jetta and most other cars ive ever drivin. So im looking for some upgrades. Im huge into cars but I know very little about fixing or installing anything on them. An obviously upgrade is a cold air intake but other than that im lost. I was thinking about turboing it, but from what ive seen thats very expensive and i would have to pay someone to install it. Its also an automatic :( Any adivce/help on upgrades/brands would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Old School
4,841 Posts
Hey guys I'm new on here and i need some advice. i got a 98 jetta GL for free from my grandmother because unfortunately she can no longer drive. So instead of buying a new car I figure it would be dumb not to take it. In some what of an unfortunate way ive had the pleasure of driving my parents cars which far out preform a stock jetta and most other cars ive ever drivin. So im looking for some upgrades. Im huge into cars but I know very little about fixing or installing anything on them. An obviously upgrade is a cold air intake but other than that im lost. I was thinking about turboing it, but from what ive seen thats very expensive and i would have to pay someone to install it. Its also an automatic :( Any adivce/help on upgrades/brands would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
sell it. its an automatic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
u want to do stuff to ur car go for it check out eurosports techtonics tuning tm tuning autotech. ur goin to be very limited since ur car is automatic they have a kit so u can turn it standerd check out bahn brenner. its goin to cost u alot to just do the kit u might as well sell it an get a better candidate to modify

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I just got the same car except mine's a five speed. It seems plenty fast enough if you keep the RPM's up in the power band . I figure to do the suspension upgrages and make it cornner a bit better and maybe an exaust kit and some body trash and a spoiler and its off to the races.....Tom

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Unfortunately since it is a 2.0 it will be very expensive to even get it to have a little get up and go. If you're really into it though (seeing as it's a free car, you'll have loads of extra stuff to spend on it) I would look into doing an engine and tranny swap. Swap it out for a VR6.

Other than that, like everyone else said, either sell it and get one with either a VR or a 1.8T, or just live with it and make it look good, there's no shame in that.

Hi, I just got the same car except mine's a five speed. It seems plenty fast enough if you keep the RPM's up in the power band . I figure to do the suspension upgrages and make it cornner a bit better and maybe an exaust kit and some body trash and a spoiler and its off to the races.....Tom
I hope you are joking about it being fast, the "body trash" and spoiler...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i wouldn't be so quick to give 2.0L such a bad rap. my GLS is a 4 banger but with a new exhaust, clutch kit and cold air intake, i can easily take any 6 cyl. that comes my way. no worries! that car has the strongest motor i've ever had, including a 6 cyl. maxima and a 98 Mustang GT.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
I'll give you a run for your money on my basically stock VR. I'd also like to see a video of your 2.0 beating a V8 mustang GT, because that's complete BS, even if the mustang driver couldn't drive. 2.0's only have like 120hp, and intake+exhaust aren't going to do too much to a naturally aspirated engine, all a clutch kit does is free up some of the HP you already had. :rolleyes:

·
Cowboy
4,826 Posts
i wouldn't be so quick to give 2.0L such a bad rap. my GLS is a 4 banger but with a new exhaust, clutch kit and cold air intake, i can easily take any 6 cyl. that comes my way. no worries! that car has the strongest motor i've ever had, including a 6 cyl. maxima and a 98 Mustang GT.

;D:uglystupid2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's all relative ....My nef.races SCCA in an itc or ita jetta I don't remember witch it is but in his class you get your rabbits and volvos and a few bmw's various japan cars and the deal is you can do anything almost to the susspension but the engine is basicly stock . it has a header pipe and a cold air and a few other minor stuff but basicly stock. the first year he ran a junkyard engine to many thirds in his class and a fifth over all . The car did a hundred and five or so down the straight and then its bang down through the gears to a 20mph harepin thats off camber . Not to mention that the track narows from 4 lanes to 3 .Thats where someone goes off into the grass and gravel trap on the first lap almost every race. The Jetta holds its own with few mods and is a blast to drive . Now his car is a mk2 I think its an 85 86 maybe its a 2 door but with a full trunk (long car )he's had two or three of the same body style (he rolled the others) anyway (SPEED) its all relative to whats going on around you .....T

·
Registered
11 Posts
And another thing I think its a good lookin car too . So all in all Its fast in its class (in a realative sence) and good lookin so there . Anyhow isf you want to go fast as you know what go get a mussel car and go fast. Just don't take a winding road cause I'll pass ya....T

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so i got the car and i know this is totally noob but it doesn't have a front plate mount cause it came from quebec.. it seems like there's a place to bolt some kid of bracket to the bumper? or do i gotta just drills some holes and mount it that way?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Heroldm:

I'm new on this board and new to Jettas. However, I am not new to cars.

Take a minute to think about your situation. You got a free car. A FREE CAR!! So what if it's gutless. It's free.

Don't waste money on "modding" a car that will never be fast or ever be worth what you sink into it.

Drive it, do the regular maintenance on it and maybe spend some of that moeny you've saved on buying a manual and some tools. (You can never have too many tools)

Then save your money so that you can later buy the car you really want. Heck, you could keep this one as a daily driver (parts getter) while you work on building the car you really want.

Once you do that you can sell this car and recoup some of your expenses on the car you really want.

I know I sound like a parent. I'm not. But, I'm probably older than most of the guys here and if I had the money I wasted when I was younger,....
Now I have lots of toys...

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Not to burst this guys bubble ^^^ but, 2.0's can be made to be some of the nicest looking dubs, because you don't really have to worry about performance mods. A lot of 2.0's are sweet at show cars, regardless of the engine.

There isn't a place for the plate PLEASE DON'T DRILL INTO YOUR BUMPER/RUBS, check out ecstuning.com, mjmauthaus.com, or tmtuning.com to name a few, they've got some nice license plate mounts that you insert on your lower grille.

·
avid dubber.
89 Posts
I must say, my 98 GL 2.slow is a great car regardless of hp output. It is also an automatic, but only has a few mods....cold air, techtonics exhaust...lowered 1.5" in front (didn't have the cash flow for the rear, i.e. handles shotty) but it will keep right up w/ my STOCK 5 speed 96 trek.....keep the car, pour some deniro into little things such as mentioned above....and drive it. IT WAS FREE!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.