Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Indicator/Blinker Switch 97 Trek

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  bmcnatt 
#1 · (Edited)
The blinkers on my 97 have not been working so today I tried to fix'm but I'm having a few issues. First off, I have replaced the flasher relay, and all the hazard lights work when I press the button. Someone put cheap mirrors w/turn signals in them & did a REALLY crappy job wiring them, so I cut all that out to rule out a possible short. Next I want to put a volt meter on the switch harness and see what's going on but the wiring diagrams are completely different from the GM diagrams I'm used to. I know that there are 4 wires in what I believe to be the indicator harness.
Black
Red
Blue
White
Can anyone tell me exactly what these are? I've learned the hard way that you don't screw with wires located by an AIRBAG unless you know for sure what they are. This car does have cruise control but it also hasn't worked.
**Also, I'm color blind, but I'm pretty sure I got these colors right. I can see color but shades that are close can really screw with me.
Thanks for the help, I did search the forum but I didn't find anything that told me what these wires should be (+, -, Lft Blink Switch +, etc...)

**Update**
I have figured out that the plug mentioned above does not go to the turn signals, from what I can tell it's the cruise control wiring. Using a volt meter I found the harness/plug that's behind it on the left side of the steering column. This plug has larger wires (White/Blk, Yellow, Green, Red or Orange) I'm still having issues determining which wires are what, and the Bentley Manual PDF doesn't have the wiring for the 97 in it. Is it the same?

**Problem Resolved**
I went back and rechecked Fuse #17 with a meter instead of eye-balling it, and that was the problem. 1 new 10A Fuse and Good to Go. I should've metered it the 1st time, I know better, I've been burned like that before...

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.