Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been around here for a couple months now and realized I never made an intro thread, so here it is :D

My names Robert and I'm from Michigan. I've always had a thing for German cars, ever since my first car. A 1987 Audi 5000s Quattro 5 speed.

Early last summer I became the proud owner of a 1999 mk4 jetta 2.0 auto with 142,000 miles. Here's a pic from the day I bought it:

I looked at a 1.8t jetta 5 speed as well as this one, which I wanted more, but it had more miles and didn't come with any records of maintenance, where this one came with records back until the day it was bought. Including the window stickers :D (and the vins do match haha):

So I got the 2.0 auto. When I bought it I knew the timing belt and water pump were going to have to be done before the end of the summer since it was overdue. And then 3 weeks later the plastic impeller on the water pump decided to explode, so in goes a new waterpump and timing belt. It was done by a friend that rebuilds motors for a living since I didn't trust myself with the timing belt aspect of it haha

I got it back and a few weeks later I was loosing coolant. I couldn't find the leak anywhere. No coolant in the oil, no spots on the ground where I park, I couldn't smell it when I was driving, etc. Asked you guys on here and 5 min later found the leak. It was the coolant flange. So, out with the old, in with the new.

And this is where she sits now. 151,000 miles young and hopefully ready for 150,000 more haha. These are just some pictures I've taken since I've had the car. Not much has changed visually yet. Just maintenance items so far.

I have a couple more maintenance items to address. Upstream o2 sensor, theres a vacuum leak somewhere, new speed sensor (I think). Then starting next spring, if everything goes to plan, I get to start modding it. My plan so far:
Coils: Raceland ultimos
Wheels: Longbeach's (They have a soft spot in my heart. Maybe painted white? I'm not sure how they'd go with the green car)
Glass headlight lenses (mine are really fogged)
Window tint (I hate the sun haha)
Cat + resonator delete (contemplating it. My cat is starting to rust and I don't want to spend money on a new one.. and theres no pollution testing in Michigan. Idk how it will sound tho)
Ram air intake (aka: cone filter for the intake sound :p )
Upgraded stereo head unit + single 12" non-ported sub
New front lip (mines cracked :( )
Plus more probably :D
Thanks for looking. I'll add more as stuff goes in, either that or actually make a build thread. Sorry for crappy pictures, I only have my phone camera and I am definitely no photographer. :p

EDIT: And body work is being done this fall/winter. There's a couple rust spots to be fixed on the passenger side wheel wells and the hood is warped and has a kink in it (my fault :( ). Potentially a full respray, depending on cost. And this is my daily driver.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Welcome to JJ! Seems like you are going in the right direction.

Love the Audi. Buddy of mine had one in white looooong time ago and it was badged as Audi 100 (euro spec) and diesel on top of that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I loved that car haha It had a lot of good memories with it. It got me into a lot of trouble tho. Think 16 year old with all wheel drive in the winter... Lots of fun. That car would go through a foot and a half of snow like it was nothing. I actually had to pull a buddy of mine out of his driveway with that car, and he had a 4x4 F250 with snow tires haha

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
The window sticker showing $13500 is from when it was brand new sitting on the showroom floor I believe...

Buy my brand new PSVita $199. PM me for details.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No haha I did not pay $13,500 for it. If I had that kind of money I would have bought a TDI or an Audi again. Thats actually the window sticker from the second owners purchase of the car (at 35,000 miles). I have the window sticker from the original sale as well, but its at my house, not with me. I paid $3,000 if you guys were curious, which also may have been a little much, but I'm happy with the car. It's reliable and should have a long life ahead of it still. Just having the maintenance records is worth the extra money to me. I've had some bad luck buying used cars in the past.

I do need to respray the steelies, I just haven't really had the time and I don't know if I should just stick with black or if I should go for white or something. Probably just black.. I don't really want to draw attention to steelies :p

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I wouldn't stay black but it's your car lol do what you please
+1. I was just in the same boat thinking to repaint my winter steelies in black but went with bright red. And loving it. Use some color maybe yellow - goes great with green.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't really want black, but I'm just not sure. I'll just photoshop them a few colors to try. Dark red is opposite on the color wheel. Yellow and Orange as well. I'm not really sure haha. Green seems like a kinda hard color to work with.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Try to photoshop copper color. Might be cool.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've messed around with photoshop a little, but I'm still not sure with any wheel color. Its basically just made me excited for lowering my car haha.

Realize that I am a complete photoshop noob haha. This is the first thing I've ever really photoshopped.

Anyway, I just ordered a new sound system to add on to the existing one. New kenwood head unit and a non-ported sub hooked up to a 350watt amp with the factory interior speaker. Should be here Friday and hopefully in this weekend sometime.

I also went out and got the new O2 sensor I needed. So that should go in as soon as I have a Jack available.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And I'm going to talk to a friend of mine's dad about body work. He's been doing body work on cars for 30+ years and will most likely give me a pretty good deal. So maybe a full respray in the near future, if not that then just a patch up of the couple rust spots.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts