Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

Jetta TDI automatic transmission shifting problem.

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  lemerc 
#1 ·
New to the forum, and want to share a problem I had with my ‘04 Jetta Wagon TDI . I started having a problem with the transmission not wanting to engage in reverse when the car was below full operating temperature. I looked all over the internet for a possible solution to the problem I could perform and found nothing that worked. Looked all over town for a garage to look at it. Most didn’t want to touch it. Dealer wanted to replace the whole tranny rather than trying to repair it. Finally found a garage specializing in Euro. cars that agreed to look at it. They gave me the option of trying to just fix the problem with no guarantee, or having the tranny rebuilt (at considerable cost) with a guarantee. In the meantime, the problem had gotten worse. It got to the point where, even after warm up, it would just occasionally engage in reverse, making it unsafe to drive. Being in good shape and running fine otherwise, I finally decided to have the tranny rebuilt. After the rebuild, guess what? Same problem. The garage did more analysis and found problem codes in the transmission control module. At no further expense to me, they had it rebuilt. Same problem. They then replaced it with a used good working module. Same problem. Finally, they removed the tranny valve body, and replaced what turned out to be a working, but weak, reverse shifting solenoid. Bingo! Problem solved. Hope this will help someone out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.