Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 VW Jetta 2.5 sedan with automatic transmission. Actually it's my girlfriend's. But anyway, I noticed the radiator cooling*fan sounded loud, and after looking under the hood, the smaller passenger side fan is spinning much faster, and the large driver's side fan is not spinning at all. Seems like the smaller fan is overcompensating. However, yesterday I took a look under the*hood, had my girlfriend start the car and then turn on the air conditioning. BOTH FANS WERE SPINNING FOR A FEW SECONDS, but then the larger driver's side fan stopped spinning and the smaller one started to spin really really fast. The smaller passenger side fan spins really fast then stops, then it comes back on again. It gets pretty loud.

Her check engine light is on and after using a scan tool we got the code P0480*"Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit Malfunction"

Anyway, do I just need to replace the larger driver's side fan? I took out the full shroud with both fans and took a look, all the wires and connectors seem fine. The fans spin freely when I spun them by hand.*We put it back and started the car... the large fan didn't spin at all, just the small one really really fast. Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2007 VW Jetta 2.5 sedan with automatic transmission. Actually it's my girlfriend's. But anyway, I noticed the radiator cooling*fan sounded loud, and after looking under the hood, the smaller passenger side fan is spinning much faster, and the large driver's side fan is not spinning at all. Seems like the smaller fan is overcompensating. However, yesterday I took a look under the*hood, had my girlfriend start the car and then turn on the air conditioning. BOTH FANS WERE SPINNING FOR A FEW SECONDS, but then the larger driver's side fan stopped spinning and the smaller one started to spin really really fast. The smaller passenger side fan spins really fast then stops, then it comes back on again. It gets pretty loud.

Her check engine light is on and after using a scan tool we got the code P0480*"Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit Malfunction"

Anyway, do I just need to replace the larger driver's side fan? I took out the full shroud with both fans and took a look, all the wires and connectors seem fine. The fans spin freely when I spun them by hand.*We put it back and started the car... the large fan didn't spin at all, just the small one really really fast. Any advice would be helpful, thanks!
Sounds like an electrical problem maybe the fan relay is going bad? if the load your talking about is a metal noise then yes replace the fan. I can tell you i just had to replace my radiator and after hours of researching i found the best deal for o.e. parts on line at www.vwpartsprime.com hopefully it's just a bad relay test by swapping the fan relay with another they are all the same if they are the same prongs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've checked the owner's manual and scoured the internet, but I have no idea where the fan relay is located. I checked the fan fuse in the fuse box under the hood (fuse 24 - 10amps), but that fuse seems fine. Do you know where the fan relay is on a 2007 VW Jetta 2.5 automatic 4 door sedan? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Advanced auto parts now offers all for free on their web site that would be good place to start. It will any diagrams that you should need

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts