Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy boys and girls, Im hoping to get a little help with setting my timing. Here is the situation. Im second owner 2000 jetta 2.0l manual trans engine code AEG. Ive done a few of these timing belts previously on different vehicles but this has me either stumped or over thinking things. As Im sure you are aware , the cam timing mark on this model is located on the inner timing cover and crank timing can be verified through the little window thingee on top of trans. Problem is that the inner timing cover is missing so I can not get my cam timing set up. So if I pull number one spark plug and check piston for tdc, is that going to give me a crank position or can I use that piston to get my cam timing set? Hope that makes sense. Or is there any other way to get that cam set without an OEM mark to reference? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is your timing belt still on? if so set #1 piston to TDC by pulling plug as you say, check flywheel through little hole in trans and check to see if cam gear is pointing upward. Might also be good to look for an image online showing cam gear at TDC and compare. Once all looks good mark your cam gear with a paint pen or something for future reference. Hope that helped...........a little

1 - 2 of 2 Posts