Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time VW owner and I love this damn car. Bought it with 81000 miles on it almost a month ago. She was a one owner car and appears to have been garage kept all 14 years. So I want to keep her babied.

SO to the issues.. Seems a little robbed of power (granted it is a 2.slow) so I plan to fully Seafoam everything but the crankcase. But the transmission... the GD O1M transmission. It could be automotive hypochondria, but I feel like it's days are numbered. Tends to hesitate shifting into 4th. And tends to punch into 2nd gear. Idk.. from what I've read, it tends to be a finicky transmission.

I think in worst case scenerios. Was wondering what your opinions are on doing a 5 speed swap versus rebuilding/replacing the O1M if the worst occurs? Also wondering if anyone in the Chicago area would want to help/teach me the art of working on this car for beer! My location offers NO work space and I lack the tools. I look forward to keeping this baby pampered!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Welcome to JJ! I'm in Chicago as well. No help from me buddy though I'm in the same boat when it comes to work space and tools. I know great shop that works only on vw and audis and that's where I take me car to.

I would replace the transmission or rebuild it. Swap is costly and pain in the ass IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, man! Glad to hear I'm not the only one here. What shop would you recommend? Pretty sure I'm gonna spend at least 2k when the think finally craps out, but I'm pretty sure longevity lies with a Manual rather than another O2M Automatic. PITA or not.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
auto trans arent cheap to rebuild, and in a mkIII are prone to failure. Your best bet is def trying to find a used manual swap and put an o2o in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, gentlemen. I've done some research and I've found that I can get a low mileage salvage title for about $1300 including shipping to my house. So now I just need to figure out what kinda equipment I'd be looking to buy, the space to do it, and some hands on deck to help.

Then I'm thinking of replacing all the suspension bushings. This car will be a masterpiece. She's gorgeous to begin with. Will post pics soon.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Thanks, man! Glad to hear I'm not the only one here. What shop would you recommend? Pretty sure I'm gonna spend at least 2k when the think finally craps out, but I'm pretty sure longevity lies with a Manual rather than another O2M Automatic. PITA or not.
I agree. Manual is the best bet. I speak from my point of view. If you have lots of $$$ or/and "know how" on how to tackle the swap that's the way to go. If I were in your shoes I'd be f#cked no matter what and try to go the cheapest way (which it would be replacing tranny IMO)

The shop I'm talking about is in Glenview and it's called mobile one - straight up guys that know what they're doing. They have 400hp mk2 jetta 4motion...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
auto trans arent cheap to rebuild, and in a mkIII are prone to failure. Your best bet is def trying to find a used manual swap and put an o2o in there.
I had someone suggest I go with an O2A or an O2J. What's the difference between these and the O2O??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts