Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a 1998 Jetta TDI, it was driving fine the last 2 days, but this morning on the way into work (part way through my drive) I lost the ability to accelerate at a normal pace. I'm looking for some advice on where to start a diagnosis on this issue, any and all help is appreciated.

Brad

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I want to say its probably your fuel filter plugging up. Since its not expensive and will need a new one down the road, you could replace the fuel filter first. You could also check the volts on your battery, check the terminals and all the wiring. You could also look for cracked vacuum lines or any air leaks.

When was your last tune up? and has your fuel filter ever been changed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure on the maintenance history of this vehicle... it's at 21700KM or 135000 miles, not sure if there happens to be any typical issues at any certain range of mileage.

I will change the fuel filter ASAP to try. I did have to accelerate pretty fast yesterday, and saw some blackish smoke come from out the exhaust, then the issue started today... not sure if that would change the diagnosis.

also this is a standard 5 speed...

Thanks for the start KiDGib!

Brad

·
Asshat Patrol
1,796 Posts
Not sure on the maintenance history of this vehicle... it's at 21700KM or 135000 miles, not sure if there happens to be any typical issues at any certain range of mileage.

I will change the fuel filter ASAP to try. I did have to accelerate pretty fast yesterday, and saw some blackish smoke come from out the exhaust, then the issue started today... not sure if that would change the diagnosis.

also this is a standard 5 speed...

Thanks for the start KiDGib!

Brad
Black smoke is the diesel lol, no CEL's?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please excuse the ignorance, but I'm not sure what CEL refers to.

And I'm aware the diesel will give off black smoke just as an old diesel, but this was at about 3800 rpm, so I thought I would mention it.

Brad

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
Please excuse the ignorance, but I'm not sure what CEL refers to.

And I'm aware the diesel will give off black smoke just as an old diesel, but this was at about 3800 rpm, so I thought I would mention it.

Brad
Check engine light

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No lights on what so ever.

Also to add to the info, I had so little power that at one particular stop sign I almost couldn't get the car moving again, I had to rev the engine and release real slow on the clutch and repeat that process about 4 times before I got enough momentum for 1st gear to work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts