Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... I have a 06 VW TDI 5-speed manual with 240k miles.

So I need to prep the question. I have replaced the turbo, cam shaft and lifters, tandem pump, and placed a new battery in this car within the past 3 months. I also replaced the map sensor and the mass air flow sensor.

So... The car will run well after the outside temp has reach 60+ degrees. In the morning, the car consistently goes to limp mode during acceleration. I can restart it numerous times and nothing changes until the outside temperature exceeds 60+ degrees. My import mechanic checked the Mass air flow sensor again since we are getting an implausible reading. He discovered that the "variable" ground wire which runs to the ECM is pulling 10.5k ohms when it is only suppose to pull 1.5. The mechanic thinks the ECM is bad, but the VW dealer, which the closest is 1.5 hrs west, thinks it must be something else.

Has anyone else has this situation? The service manager at the dealership had never heard of it.

If it ends up being the ECM that would be another $1,500 and I will just call it quits on the car and need to sell it for parts or to someone who wants to part it.

I would appreciate some help or offers for the car. I am in SE GA.

·
Super Moderator
13,678 Posts
so the ground wire from the ECM to the MAF is pulling 10.5k ohms? or is it the wire grounding the ECM?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the ground wire from the ECM to the MAF is pulling 10.5k ohms? or is it the wire grounding the ECM?

Yes. The ECM to the MAF is pulling 10.5k Ohms. I assume this correlates with the turbo shutting off in cold weather and car driving in limp mode. But, as stated, once the temp is about 60 degrees outside, there is no issue and the vehicle drives well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts