Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2003 2.0 Jetta GL with 150k on it KNOWING it had a cat issue. Was very well taken care of, previous owner didn't want to shell out 500 plus labor for the cat.
I replaced all 4 spark plugs AND wires, and drove it for 250 miles to make sure I ran a drive cycle through it, and checked the codes. I got p0420 for the cat, p0411 and one other that escapes me. The latter two codes were for a small coolant leak on the side of the engine, and a cracked tube for the secondary air pump. Both were replaced. Alongside replacing these, I had the same shop take the cat out and put a straight pipe in it with dummy sensors. I understand some folks may not agree with my choice on that, but it is temporary at best.
After about 20 miles, I'm now getting a p0302 misfire in cylinder 2. Could this be related to air/fuel mixture due to the lack of a cat? Could it be lack of pressure/compression due to no converter in it?
Just troubleshooting, any input is appreciated.

Edit: Just to reiterate, the misfire was not present prior to replacing the cat and coolant valve+sai tubing.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
If there's no records of it having a full tune up, I'd just finish the tune up by getting the wires and coil pack. Clear codes and see if the misfire comes back.

Are the dummy sensors after the cat?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts