Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello As I have mentioned before in my intro I own a 1985 Jetta GLI. It certainly looks the part and has the correct engine and ignition controls as well as front and rear disc brakes power locks and windows. MFA, full cluster (ie speedo, tach, mfa, odo, trip meter) it has recaros, matching rear seats. It does not have front door speakers which throws me off. Idk if they were supposed to be there or not. It looks to have a wolfsburg emblem on the front fenders that looks factory based on pictures i have seen. The jetta gli rear badge also looks factory however it is not red idk if it should be?

My glovebox says 16v but my motor is an 8v.

Things just dont add up? I checked my vin based on a few different sites and i get no solid evidence that it is a gli.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You just reminded me that I had a GTI about that year (or maybe an 86) that I parted out. I had plumb forgot about it... :) I'm going from memory here, maybe 20 years ago so forgive me if I am off a little. It had the big tranny flange for the axles and the tranny was close-ratio. 8V engine, red stripes on bumpers and regular euro headlights. That is about all I remember...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there anyway to tell what model a car is by the VIN? I just happened to read this post and the high ratio tranny caught me. I drive hwy with mine and it revs high for little speed. (3250 rpm for 105kmh). I would like to know more about my car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anyway to tell what model a car is by the VIN? I just happened to read this post and the high ratio tranny caught me. I drive hwy with mine and it revs high for little speed. (3250 rpm for 105kmh). I would like to know more about my car.
What gear are you in? At 62 mph here in the states (100km/h where you are) im below 3k. At 70mph (112km/h) i am exactly at 3,000 rpm. I should note that gears 1-4 are close while 5th is long (most likely for fwy mpg)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmmm--in 5th at 70 mph my engine (8v) is turning close to 4000 rpm....my car came with an automatic which I've swapped for a 5 speed out of a pick a part junkyard. Now I'm wondering what trans I have....

·
Digifook.
716 Posts
Hmmm--in 5th at 70 mph my engine (8v) is turning close to 4000 rpm....my car came with an automatic which I've swapped for a 5 speed out of a pick a part junkyard. Now I'm wondering what trans I have....
Its more than likley an "AUG" code gear box. There are more of those out there than any other manual gear box. Close ratio gear set works well to get you moving and thankfully at 3000rpm the engines arent too thirsty. The reason that digifants came with the short boxes typically is because they lacked low end torque and needed the lighter gear set.

A long box or diesel gear box is the one to get. If you've put more power under the hood, or you just want to spend a little less often at the gas station. My last Jetta had a long box in it. 100kph sat 2400 if I recal right.

I've managed to score another long box out of a diesel off a co worker. Once its had the seals replaced and I have a fresh clutch ready to go into the works Ill enjoy some better fuel mialage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its more than likley an "AUG" code gear box. There are more of those out there than any other manual gear box. Close ratio gear set works well to get you moving and thankfully at 3000rpm the engines arent too thirsty. The reason that digifants came with the short boxes typically is because they lacked low end torque and needed the lighter gear set.

A long box or diesel gear box is the one to get. If you've put more power under the hood, or you just want to spend a little less often at the gas station. My last Jetta had a long box in it. 100kph sat 2400 if I recal right.

I've managed to score another long box out of a diesel off a co worker. Once its had the seals replaced and I have a fresh clutch ready to go into the works Ill enjoy some better fuel mialage.
I just checked my trans, and it is the AUG coded one. Thanks for the info--is there a code for the 'long' box is should look for?

·
Registered
341 Posts
86 gli and early 87 gli's came 8v mid 87 the 16v was introduced

1 - 11 of 11 Posts