Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got this yesterday...

my rear speakers were blown , and i had a 10 year old alpine CD player on it and the volume buttons did not work , i replace the head unit with a new alpine cde-125bt its not the best but its better than what i had i didn't want a 400 dlls. head unit on a 900 dlls car .

i installed the ne alpine with no problems and the rear speaker were really easy to install, i knew that not all 6 1/2 speakers fit with the oem grill so i knew that i was going to have to do some modifications , i read on a post here that i just could trim the stock grilles but i was afraid that even if i trimmed them it was not going to clear the speaker , so i installed them under the door panels like this

i broke some clips when i took out the door panel so i had to run to the yunk yard to get some extra clips for free , i just put them in my pocket and walked out LOL, .
to mount the speakers i used all the existing holes on the speaker frame so it was really easy
but when i tried to put the door panel back it was hiting the speaker so i had to trim some plastic of the door panel

so this is what i did
i had to cut that line on the bottom to and thats it , i put my door panel back on and this is how it looks

this is when i was done with it

·
Registered
297 Posts
All you had to do is pop off the speaker covers on the front doors. take the 4 screws out, put the new speaker in, pop the cover back on and its done. i did that to my mk3. i put the new infinity reference speakers in and they have tweeters on them like yours and the cover fits fine. i never had to take the door panels off or do any cutting. the only thing i had to do was change the female contectors to connect to the speaker. Idk if that will help you in the future or not, but if you plan on putting a sub or and amp in, in the future cause i can help with some tips on that, that can be a pain in the butt. looks good though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All you had to do is pop off the speaker covers on the front doors. take the 4 screws out, put the new speaker in, pop the cover back on and its done. i did that to my mk3. i put the new infinity reference speakers in and they have tweeters on them like yours and the cover fits fine. i never had to take the door panels off or do any cutting. the only thing i had to do was change the female contectors to connect to the speaker. Idk if that will help you in the future or not, but if you plan on putting a sub or and amp in, in the future cause i can help with some tips on that, that can be a pain in the butt. looks good though.
yes i tried to mount the speaker just like the stock one and it didn't work , that's why i had to do it this way . by the way how hard is it to run the power cable for the amp to the trunk of my mk3

·
Registered
297 Posts
Its not that hard. Like Marc1987 said there are plugs in your fire wall on the battery side. Push one of those and you will be able to see the hole if you take the cover off where your fuses are. Its gonna be like a rubberish ring. Drill a hole that fits the size of the wire. It should be a snug fit. This will make sure no water gets into your car or possible short out your amp. Not good at all. To make everything look clean if you take the plastics cover off (idr what they are called). they are the things that are plastic that are at the bottom of thethe doors but not on the doors. They are along the floor that are at the ends of carpet on the floor. There are some plasic and metal screws that you take out and just pop those off and there is plenty of room to run the power cable. They will take a little convincing to get out. Push down and pull the bottom out. That is the easiest way. When you get to the trunk pull up on the bottom part of the seat and pull down the back of the seat, take the other plastic covers off and run the wire all the way back there. This make everything look clean and no one will know you have wires running back there. Ill post some pics of how i ran wire for my amp. One other thing, make sure you wire the remote switch wire from your amp to your head unit. that will save your battery. I have to comend you on doing this your self and not going to best buy or geek squad to get this installed. they dont do it the right way. Are you gonna run power to speakers from the amp?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Okay so here is how i did it. This is the hole in the fire wall that you can run the the main power wire from. It is realll straight froward just make sure you make the seal snug so no water gets through.
Auto part Fuel line Wire Automotive fuel system Engine

Here it is again just from a zoomed out view.
Auto part Vehicle Fuel line Engine Car

The wire will come out under the steering wheel area and then just just it along where the fuses are and down. that is the plastic stuff i was talking about haha
Electronics Light Electronic instrument Audio equipment Technology

Again here is the plastic thing that runs the whole length of the car on the driver side. you can take this off with few screws that come out and it makes running the wire easy.
Automotive exterior Tire Bumper Auto part Automotive tire

Now in my case i had to run the wire underneath the back seat to get it to the passanger side because that is where the input was for the power.
Vehicle Car Auto part Compact car Wire

You can sort of see the red wire and a bunch of other wires coming up. that is all part of the plastic thing that comes off easly.
Auto part Bumper Rim Vehicle Wheel

Here are all of the wire coming into the amp. still passanger side just taken from the trunck. The grayish wire is my groud. Easy way to do that is to get an "adapter" that you can krimp onto the end of the ground that has a ring on the end. Just take the seat belt pully assemble off its main bolt, put the ring on, and bolt the pully back on. All of the extra wire you see (beside red and gray) are power lines for my speakers. the reason i was asking if you were gonna do power for you speakers was because the way the front doors are done on a mk3 for what i know is that instead of being a "tunnel" in the front door hinge area, there are conectors. all of the wire that are in the door go intoa male head plug that plugs into the frame of the car. Very easy if you want to take the doors off a pain for speaker power. what you half to do is pull your head unit out and run wire up above the passanger feet area and behing the air bag. you have to wire the speaker power cable directly to the wires coming off the headunit. if you got a wiring harness this will be rather easy. just follow the wiring diagram to find front left and right speakers. if no wiring harness good luck. Also if your head unit only has one or two outputs on it, you will need to get a high to low converter which will help you set up a line just for lows to your sub and then split that one out put into four outputs for all of your speaker. TIp with this is to get rid of your tweeters in your dash. just cut off the ends and wire them together color matching color. this will help with runnig wires for the speakers and allow to run your new speakers hard with worring about the terrible clipping noise those poopy tweeter will make.
Wire Electrical wiring Trunk Cable Technology

the greatest place to mout your amp is inbetween the speakers in your trunk on the celing. it will give you the most use out of your trunk and will look cool. (Sorry my sub got in the way)
Luxury vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car Auto part

I hope that helps. let me know what you have questions about or if you want more pics. im willing to rip my headunit out and show you what it all loooks like and how i did it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope that helps. let me know what you have questions about or if you want more pics. im willing to rip my headunit out and show you what it all loooks like and how i did it.
thanks for all your help men i was wondering how to take of those plastic covers by the doors your pictures gave an idea od what i am going to have to deal with tomorrow I'll post some pictures when i get done

·
Registered
297 Posts
Alpine makes some good amps. Something that i use a rule of thumb is the bigger the amp (as in size) the better. Your amp will really heat up, depending on how much you use it. The bigger the amp the easier it is for the amp to cool down and get that hot air out. I have an 18in amp in my car. Just my thoughts. Also what kind of sub are you putting in, and do you know if it is ported or sealed, and what is its RMS and peak power? I highly highly recomend getting a ported sub so you dont blow out your sub. Again just my thought. one more thing, always run your amp at about 75% to like 85% power that way you dont over heat or fry your amp. Subs are ment to be run hard so let them be run hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.