Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first DIY so hope this is useful[teacher]. I know that this DIY has been touched upon by some Headlight DIY's but after much searching i could not find a specific Front Bumper Removal so here we go:D.

Tools
T30 Torque Screw
T20 Torque Screw
Flat Head philips screw driver
Bowl or Cup to hold Bolts & Nuts

Instructions
First your going to need to take off the Grill set to allow yourself to access the first set of nuts and bolts.

To the Right of the Drivers side headlight your going to just pull on the top of the grill towards you. The grill is held in by clips so pulling towards you in a prying motion should just pop the corner out.

Repeat for the opposite side of the grill which will be right to the left of the passenger headlight.

For the next part your going to take a flat head screw driver and insert it in the slit found at the top of the grill(above the VW emblem). use the screw driver to pull the grill away from the car and pull the grill until it pops out.

After this you should be able to just pull up on the grill and it should pop out. The grill will still be attached to the locking mechanism of the hood. I personally dont think you need to unattach to continue with removing the bumper.

Under the grill will expose three screws that will require a Torque 30 to remove, Lefty loosey, Righty Tighty;). which are shown in the next three photos.

than:

and lastly:

Okay now your gonna want to unscrew two more screws located in the next two photos with a Torque 30 once again. Lefty loosey, Righty Tighty;)

and on the opposite side:

Now where going to have to remove your front lower grill which is held in by two tabs which are located at the top of the lower grill.

Once removed it will look something like this. your going to want to unscrew the the top screw which will obviously holding your bumper. you will be able to see that the screw is not holding black plastic, but the same color as your vehicle for example my car is white so the screw that is holding the white tab;):Continue to the opposite lower grill and repeat the above step.

Remember to be placing your screws in a bowl or cup.

Next your going to want to remove the inner wheel well plastics to release your bumper:). The plastics will be held in by 4 torque 20 screws. sorry for the sideways photo. anyhow it will help to turn your steering wheel away from the side you will be working on.

Like always repeat on the other side.

*Before removing the bumper you must make sure to unplug the wiring connected to the side markers on the bumper*

Now just Slide out and you will be left with this [woo].

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
Re: DIY: Front Bumper Removal

i literally have to take out 3 screws, and my bumper is off. hahaha.

·
not your typical air ride
7,193 Posts

A tip for anyone thats low. Like REALLY low. Its good to leave out the the two grille bolts. This allows for bumper flex should you get snagged. Trust me. Had i had those in several times idda snapped my lower valence off and most likely permanantly warped my bumper. Have fun kids!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

^-^
i literally have to take out 3 screws, and my bumper is off. hahaha.
ha atleast the diy on your car is easier and according to DasBohan you may have great flex

·
Banned
1,761 Posts

^-^

ha atleast the diy on your car is easier and according to DasBohan you may have great flex
that i do. haha. i have ripped my bumper off more times than i can count, and it just pops right back into place. i love it. but having those lower grill bolts out is a good thing just in case you get stuck in a bind.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

that i do. haha. i have ripped my bumper off more times than i can count, and it just pops right back into place. i love it. but having those lower grill bolts out is a good thing just in case you get stuck in a bind.
Ill make sure to take mine off than, probably when i Joey Mod my car, which i cant wait to do!

·
Resident Senior Citizen
840 Posts

Nice write up! Thanks for posting this. You really clarified the whole thing, everyone says in other DIYs how simple it is and you showed us exactly how to do it.

Def Master List worthy.

Nicely done sir.

Btw, they're called Torx bits.
And I just gotta raz ya about the flat head phillips screwdriver. I've been lookin for one forever ya know.

·
7,193 Posts

mine pops off everytime i leave my driveway. EVERYTIME. I back out, then pull to the side and pop it back in, usually the right since i back out to the left. If those bolts were in, my bumper wouldnt pop out and the valence would stretch. I wouldve lost it long ago. Plus its easier to pop it back in when theyre off cuz you have some give. Its become normal procedure.

·
Banned
1,761 Posts

mine pops off everytime i leave my driveway. EVERYTIME. I back out, then pull to the side and pop it back in, usually the right since i back out to the left. If those bolts were in, my bumper wouldnt pop out and the valence would stretch. I wouldve lost it long ago. Plus its easier to pop it back in when theyre off cuz you have some give. Its become normal procedure.
now that is funny. hahah

·
7,193 Posts

now that is funny. hahah
youd be surprised how many people do this EVERYDAY ha. Ill be drivin and a bump will sneak up and itll be like THUD.....scchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. And my gf will freak out and scream..."WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!" and im like..."girl, chill, its just my bumper scrapin it fell off again....she does that."

·
Banned
1,761 Posts

youd be surprised how many people do this EVERYDAY ha. Ill be drivin and a bump will sneak up and itll be like THUD.....scchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. And my gf will freak out and scream..."WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!" and im like..."girl, chill, its just my bumper scrapin it fell off again....she does that."

haha. awesome man. mine just likes to kiss the pavement every once and a while. =D no0t too much draggin. i just hope that none of my 3 screw holes break. haha. that would suck.

·
Bubble Boy
6,122 Posts

Added to the list. thanks for the DIY!

ps thumbs up for another PNWester!

·
Local Towel
667 Posts

Torx, Flat head phillips? and you got your left and rights mixed up when you were referring to the headlights, but other than that good diy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Torx, Flat head phillips? and you got your left and rights mixed up when you were referring to the headlights, but other than that good diy
Oops, like i said my first one ha. Overall thanks guys i've really learned a lot since i started reading all the threads here on JettaJunkie:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey does anyone have a write up about how to remove the front lip on an mkiv? Mine is a 1.8T and that lip is killing my front bumper. It's slowly ripping my bumper in two and the lip is all ripped and nasty looking so I just wanna axe it but I can't figure out how to release those very secure clips that hold it on. Any ideas tips, tricks, tools, etc. would be most appreciated. Lmk thanks

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey does anyone have a write up about how to remove the front lip on an mkiv? Mine is a 1.8T and that lip is killing my front bumper. It's slowly ripping my bumper in two and the lip is all ripped and nasty looking so I just wanna axe it but I can't figure out how to release those very secure clips that hold it on. Any ideas tips, tricks, tools, etc. would be most appreciated. Lmk thanks

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Hey, i don´t knnow if you already figured out how to remove the front lip of you car, I don´t have any write up about it, but i´ve took it off several times for the same reason you want to remove it... on first you need patience ... but it´s really easy to do it. you need to unplug each corner of the lip first (the parts of the lip nearest to each tire) ... then you have to pull off the lip towards to you from the middle front of the bumper, being careful of not tearing the thin frame where it is atached .....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts