Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Jetta has a LOT that still needs to be done to it, so I kind of have to pick my battles as the money allows. Recently, I got the car started again after putting a new battery, battery cables & spark plug wires under the hood. Now, I have an exhaust leak that is driving me crazy. I had a guy put in a new "system" a couple of years ago, when I got the car, but he only went up to the Catalytic Converter. Converter & forward is old, after converter to tail pipe is new. I am having a hard time getting is started when it's cold, keeping it idling while warming up, but after it is warm, it starts and idles ok. I would imagine that this exhaust leak doesn't help.

Here is my issue: I put the car up on the ramps and saw that the coupling that lies forward of the CC is loose. I put my hand around the coupling, and I can feel air (exhaust) on my palm. My question is: Can I tighten this coupling until I can get the money to replace what is necessary, or is it all toast from the CC to the manifold? Also, would this exhaust leak affect the running of the engine? If so, why? (Backpressure?) I am a newbie, and obviously not a mechanic, so take it easy on me. I just have no clue what I am doing. Thank you, in advance, for anyone who chooses to offer their input.

·
Not a VW fanboy
479 Posts
I just skimmed this but from what i read it seems that the small exhaust donut that goes between the cc and manifold just burnt up, likely from old age. Goto your local auto parts store and pick one up ($5.00) at most. Swap it in and tighten it up and leak be gone!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, 96JettaGLmk3! The bolts holding the pieces together are pretty crappy, too. Will they carry the bolts only, without buying the manifold and/or cc? I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
239 Posts
if i was you i would cut the cat, its probably on it way to being clogged which could possibly blow out the exhaust donut. also it could cause the car to run like absolute garbage.
you can get money for the CC and buy a double down manifold from like a 16v (that is if you dont already have one). youll gain flow of the exhaust which in return will cause your car to run better and gain some performance. just my .02

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FER92VR6,

Thanks for the input. I will gladly remove the cc, when I can afford to install the replacement exhaust pipe. That's why I am looking for the cheapest fix for now, until I can do it right. The car does run terrible when it's cold, and I am sure the removing the cc will be a good move for performance. You said that I can get money for the cc - how? It's pretty old and crappy. I doubt that there is a dd man on this car, since almost everything is original under the hood (not good). If you can direct me on how I can snag something like that and how it installs, I will strongly consider it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
239 Posts
around here (michigan), people pay for cc's because they have platinum and stuff in it. im sure theres a place to take a cat back where you live. the way they test a cat when you take it in is put a pipe in it and make sure its not blown out. so if its old and clogged they wont care. my buddy took the cat off his monte carlo because it was clogged and he got $115. if your car is an 8v it wont have a DD mani. a DD mani will come on 16v's. its a direct bolt on and wayy better then the "toilet bowl" setup. look on www.vwvortex.com or ebay. there not that expensive, i picked one up for $50.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.