1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first GLI for Christmas.
Blown transmission.
I am new here.
I need advice from you guys that know this tranmissions, which tranmission would be a good replacement. The same it came on this Jetta, or an MKV version? Is it compatible?
Repair the one I have... (I have not removed it yet) It makes horrible noises when you release the clutch.
Thank you guys in advance.
EVG.

2004 GLI 1.8T 6 Speed MkIV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OOooooooo, yeah it sounds gone. As far as I know you have to replace with the same type trans due to the computer crap but not 100%
I wanted to know if there is any of the MKV or EOS or any of those 6 speed FWD trans would work. I can get some cheaper on EBAY than getting the same trans for a lot of $$$ and being the same style.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wanted to know if there is any of the MKV or EOS or any of those 6 speed FWD trans would work. I can get some cheaper on EBAY than getting the same trans for a lot of $$$ and being the same style.
Yeah, I understand the temptation. But it reminds me of my friend thinking it would be cool to stuff an Oldsmobile engine in an El Camino, because the friend he was getting the El Camino for did engine development for Oldsmobile. Turned into a nightmare from hell. I would only try it IF I found a web page or three which detailed exactly how to do it. Otherwise save yourself agony and and spend more money.

Mmmm, you haven't gotten an estimate from a transmission shop for repair?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my first GLI for Christmas.
Blown transmission.
I am new here.
I need advice from you guys that know this tranmissions, which tranmission would be a good replacement. The same it came on this Jetta, or an MKV version? Is it compatible?
Repair the one I have... (I have not removed it yet) It makes horrible noises when you release the clutch.
Thank you guys in advance.
EVG.

2004 GLI 1.8T 6 Speed MkIV
I would research valve body issues on your car. Usually the case and much cheaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts