Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my '14 GLI not quite a week ago, and one of the things that I noticed right away is the lack of a power outlet that stays "hot" at all times. I did some digging on these forums and others, and with one exception, there doesn't seem to be a way to make the outlet hot.

I decided I would just install a new one, rather than try to reinvent the wheel and/ or rewire the way that the current outlets are powered.

This is my attempt at a how to guide. It's still on going, but the major portion is there. I'll update it as I over come the small snags that I've encountered along the way.

I purchased a power outlet from Radio Shack for $9.99

It even includes a 10A fuse, which is probably all that you'll need if you're just looking to charge your cell phone.

The first step is to remove the bezel from around the shifter. This can be done with an interior trim tool (available at Harbor Freight for about $6)

With a little bit of gentle lifting and persuasion the entire bezel will pop right out.

There are two torx head screws that are revealed once the bezel is out of the way. The pen is pointing to one, but you can clearly see them both.

There are three plugs that need to be disconnected (at least on my car), they're for the currently installed power point (white), traction control button (gray), and the start button (black). The colors of the plugs aren't real clear in this pic.

Once the plugs are disconnected, the tray should lift right out of the console without any trouble. This is a pic of the back side of the tray.

Using a 3/4" conduit hole saw I cut the hole where the second power point would have been installed, you can see the plug in the previous pic.

Run the wires for the new power point through the hole, and down into the console. Pull the wires out the bottom of the console, and keep them out of the way for now. We'll come back to those in a bit. Reassemble the console by doing everything in reverse. It should go back together as easily as it came apart..

Exco

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In the fuse box under the hood I used my multi-meter to find an extra spot that was "hot". Here is where I'll be tapping into.

One of the snags that I need to over come is gaining access through the fire wall. I wasn't counting on the insulation blanket that is in place. As soon as I can figure out how to move/ remove the insulation blanket so that I can get direct access to the fire wall, the plan is to pass a wire through and connect it up to the loose end of the hot wire from the power plug. For the ground I'm planning on just finding a convenient screw or bolt that I can use.

I'll update this as I figure out the insulation issue.

Exco

·
not your typical air ride
7,193 Posts
mk6 GLIs, GTIs, SE+ models and TDIs come with an MDI plug in in the center dash or glovebox, why on earth did you do this? just buy the right cord for your phone model or even a USB. i mean you did a super clean job it looks great but why? ha

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mk6 GLIs, GTIs, SE+ models and TDIs come with an MDI plug in in the center dash or glovebox, why on earth did you do this? just buy the right cord for your phone model or even a USB. i mean you did a super clean job it looks great but why? ha
The MDI plug only works when the car is on, just like the existing power points. I wanted something that was hot at all times, so that when turned off the car, I could leave the cell phone on charge, such as when I'm running in to the store for a few minutes, working out, etc.

I understand not everyone has the need for a power outlet to be hot at all times, but I had the need, so I set about making it happen.

Exco

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice write up. It could also be used as a his and hers outlet.
True, but my Jetta doesn't have nearly the horsepower for her. He doesn't even consider a car with less than 350 bhp. She currently drives a '13 Dodge Charger, Daytona edition

Exco

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice car btw
Thanks.

If you look in my avitar, there are some of the other cars we used to have ('08 Civic Si, '10 HEMI Ram 1500 Crew Cab, '10 Challenger RT Classic)

The Jetta was my attempt at something smaller, sportier and more fun to drive. So far I LOVE it, other than the lack of info available for mods LOL

Exco

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is an update on the install.

I changed things up a little bit, and decided to tap into the under dash fuse box. It was just over all a lot easier to do.

Once you've got everything back together you run the wires down behind the trim piece and under the carpet. It was at this point that I extended the wire from the plug about 4-5 foot. This gave me some extra wire to work with, and doing this I was able to leave a little bit of slack in the console in case I ever needed to pull the tray out.

In this pic, you can see where I have run the wires. I purposely left the wires slightly exposed for this pic. The wires have since been tuck down out of sight.

At the bottom of the fuse box on the left side I tie wrapped the new wires to a bundle that was handy. This should keep them out of the way and looking nice an neat.

Finally I made a jumper wire from a spade connector and a piece of scrap wire that was about 8-10 inches long. I was then able to push the jumper into the fuse box slots, and using my multi-meter I was able to find a slot that had power at all times. The spot where you can see the wire inserted is just to the right of the 20A fuse just to the right of the center of the fuse box. This was a vacant position, and there are only contact on one side, this is the side I inserted the spade connector in. For the ground, you can pretty much pic any exposed/ solid metal point along the way to mount the ground. I chose to open up the side panel to the left of the dash, and found a convenient screw up there, so long as it's a good ground, where it is doesn't really matter.

Hope that this is helpful to someone who has been wanting a similar set up.

Exco

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.