Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I wanted HONEST opinions on my build ideas for my Mk3. This is my first 2.0 and I like it a lot so I decide to make it my every day driver (but built) please don't insult my 2.0 seems a lot of forums HATE THE 2.0L I love it so don't hate lol anyways, down to business.

Okay so the car: It's an all stock 1997 Jetta GL. 5 speed manual. Black ext. grey int.

Exterior ideas: stock bumpers, 1.5" lowering springs (front and back), 17" BBS wheels x 8.0" wide. I'm thinking a .5" stretch so I'm wider then 8". New grill (mine is cracked) just keeping it black plastic. New oem headlights and tail lights. New bumper lenses (front). That's pretty much it for looks. Simple but sexy.

Motor & Trans: okay this is where I need the advice and opinions. It's a stock 2.0L (other then a nuespeed short ram) it's brand new and was installed the day I bought it the guy didn't install it, was still in the box. Okay, so I wanted a turbo application, I see nobody really turbo's the 2.0 so I said "why not?" I've been looking around for a rebuild for it so I'm not boosting stock internals (if anyone has any suggestions of a website that has a rebuild kit I'd appreciate it) So far this is the only rebuild site I've found "www.rpmrons.com" but I think it's only stock internals for it? Not sure. Kind of new with jettas so I'm not sure how to shop for parts for it. So I want to do a rebuild with stronger internals and do a turbo kit, the kit I'm looking at is sage 2 with turbo, piping, intercooler, and all the other goodies. Anyways, my main concern is the rebuild. I want stronger parts to handle the boost, I actually want to do this right. I'll only be pushing around 8-12psi max just cuz I don't feel the need to be pushing around 20psi lol so advice please! What would you experts do if you wanted to boost the 2.0?

Transmission: my 5 speed went out so I'm replacing it with the stock 5 speed and a stage 2 clutch. Should I do that?

I'm just so confused with this 2.0 because I've never built a VW but I love this year, love what you can do to make them look good. Just don't know how to make the 2.0 decently fast. Any advice or opinions is respected! Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
i am new to vw but i do own a 2.0 turbo and its awesome. i don't know why people would hate on 2.0 its a good size for a 4 cylinder
He has mk3 and you have mk5... Those are completely different engines that are beyond comparison...

Mk3 2.0 is slow and it's frustrating. I had '94 GL manual 2.slow. It's fuel efficient though. You need to drop major $$$ to make it moderately fast. IMHO it's not worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are on different pages here Fahrenheit. Your car must be newer if it came stock with a turbo, I have an older jetta that is a stock 2.0 non turbo. I'm asking what I'd have to do to turbo it. But yes the 2.0t is a smooth car!

·
Stacks on deck.
450 Posts
collect the parts and do a 9A trans with a VR6 sachs oem clutch. as for motor, just get a headspacer that lowers your compression to 9:1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts