Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car from a neighbour for 70 bucks. It runs but sputters when i try to take off in first gear. It barley moves! I replaced the fuel filter yesterday but it is still the same. Also a few fan wires are disconnected (cut)
and a blue wire coming from the distributor is cut as well. And theres a mysterious wooden plug in the water lines.
Any ideas, tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
WTF! I wish I could find a II for $70!

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Yeah but the body looks great, and the shell alone would be worth more than $70 if he wanted to ditch the project.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea the body is really good, someone took care of this car. Spot rust only.
Under the hood, not so good.;) I like the Recaro seats.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey nice mk2, yeah, also have a mk2 16 valve, and may be of some help to you, what exactly does this vechicle do when hardly moving?? just sputtering??, if theres a wire missing or cut on the distributor, trsace it back through the wiring loom, or find a wiring diagram, reconnect it, and see if that helps, also if it hasnt been driven for the past while, fuel distributor may need cleaning, or some service. (theres a pin inside that can stick). as for that wooden plug, is that on the coolant flange on the front of the block, by the oil filter?? mine has a milled steel plug in that location, have yet
to find its purpose.

but yeah the 16 valves, nice cars, very fast.

by anychance are you in canada. if so you may have a jetta gtx. though it would be badged that way. so far I've yet to find somone who has one with the exception of myself lol.

i'll post more info on that distributor wiring, just need to get out the manual and take a look. it'll be up somtime tommorrow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
also there may be a small fuel filter inside the fuel distributor, that may be dirty its inside the large line entering the fuel distributor, on the left hand side. try that, it could be clogged, or dirty.

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
nice find!!! thats a great deal. i bet that deck cost more than the whole car. hahaha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea im on Vancouver island and it is a GTX. I guess i shouldve mentioned that. It will start, a bit of white smoke, nothing huge. and i will try to take off and it seems like it has 1 horsepower. But will still run. This car has recaros, cruise ,sunroof, power windows 4 wheel discs .mNone of the door handels work... hehe.

·
Resident Senior Citizen
840 Posts
I bought this car from a neighbour for 70 bucks. It runs but sputters when i try to take off in first gear. It barley moves! I replaced the fuel filter yesterday but it is still the same. Also a few fan wires are disconnected (cut)
and a blue wire coming from the distributor is cut as well. And theres a mysterious wooden plug in the water lines.
Any ideas, tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys.
First you suck! $70! [woo] Invest in a good repair manual and breath life back into the ole girl. Def sounds like a good project.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
.Took out the fuel pressure regulator, it was dirty but seemed to work ok. Next is to check the fuel distributor...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Started right up no problem today and seemed to work fine drove it about 2 minutes with minimal sputtering then it goes back to the same almost barely running phase... If it stalls it wont start right away but when it does it seems to have built up fuel pressure to where you can drive it for a minute again. Then the whole process starts again. Also im just gonna hook the cut fan wires to a toggle switch for now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts