Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I confess I am still learning. But I think I just need a simple smack upside my head to tell me I am on the right line of thought. I took my car to a muffler shop, opened the exhaust to 2.5" , resonator delete, high flow cat and muffler. I told them to do it TBE. I guess I was under the impression at first it would be the entire length from the exhaust manifold, but if I understand it correctly the downpipe is there, and a muffler shop wouldn't mess with that. So the 2.5" starts at the end of the downpipe? And I still need to get myself a downpipe to complete my TBE and be "proper" TBE?

We discussed the "melted crayon" smell possability from the additional heat from removing the resonator and workaround for that. He threw in a 12" glass pack there and I've had no issues. That combined with the airbox swap for a 3" cone filter give it a really good sound (IMO). Just want to make sure I have it done all proper like, don't want to say I have TBE if I still need that downpipe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aww... I didn't get a "fix your self stupid" smack upside my head lol. You are too kind, and I guess the others who viewed it just kept silent because it was a dumb thread. I just wanted to be sure. Now I guess I get to go shopping for that to finish that part of the project. Hopefully it won't cost me much to take it back to them and slap it on. They did discount me $50 because I paid cash though, so who knows. Thank you for getting me off stupid setting lol. I hate being stuck on stupid.

·
Senior citizen member
670 Posts
No problem. If you decide to get it done I think 3" would help with the turbo spool better. The stock downpipe is usualy 2.25" so upgrading to 2.5 isn't going to show much difference

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually haven't looked at the statistics for the downpipe. I remember reading the stock exhaust ran at 1.9" , so I went for the happy medium of 2.5". I got some info saying that 3" is just a little big for our tiny displacement (for the exhaust system, nothing about downpipe). Any forseable issue with a 3" downpipe on a 2.5" aftermarket exhaust already in place? Or just a simple 3" to 2.5" connector to join the two?

·
Eur0wn3d
1,846 Posts
I actually haven't looked at the statistics for the downpipe. I remember reading the stock exhaust ran at 1.9" , so I went for the happy medium of 2.5". I got some info saying that 3" is just a little big for our tiny displacement (for the exhaust system, nothing about downpipe). Any forseable issue with a 3" downpipe on a 2.5" aftermarket exhaust already in place? Or just a simple 3" to 2.5" connector to join the two?
3" to 2.5" is what i (and many other people) have and there are no issues

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much. I will do a little more looking into it now. Hopefully I will find the income to do this and have it slapped in so I can be proper! I will say now I have the good intentions of keeping you all updated here lol. Will see how IRL activities affect the intent lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts