Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Eyes on your next VW
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on an '87 1.8 gas for a friend. He said "it just stopped running all of a sudden". First thing I did was check the fuel rail for gas, found no fuel. Replaced the external pump, still no fuel pressure. Found out there is an internal pump in the tank, removed and discovered the hose was gone, detached and ripped off. Replaced the line and now have fuel in the fuel rail. Also replaced the battery because it was cranking slow. Still, will not start, only cranks and cranks. Checked firing order, 1-3-4-2 on another forum, is this correct? Any ideas why it still won't start? Confirmed have spark.

·
Eyes on your next VW
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
5-3-2015 5-53-45 PM.jpg here's some different firing order pics i've found. Only difference i've seen is the orientation of the dizzy cap??? 5-2-2015 7-00-53 PM.jpg

·
Digifook.
716 Posts
For quick referance on those engines the distributer body has a notch engraved into the back of it. This is to more or less line up TDC #1 if you had the timing belt off and things moved while installing it.

In most cases if you can get #1 to line up with that the engine managmet will auto adjust it on its own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts