Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

Need Helpful Advice

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Skimmer0220 
#1 ·
Ok, So my weekend came to a screeching halt on Sunday when my power steering failed. After much disbelief a came to the conclusion that the power steering rack blew a seal... Seeing as how busy I am with work/class/kids I decided to send it off to, what I thought was a trusted friend/mechanic/previous employer and he wants to charge me 750 to swap it out with a new rack. That is basically the entire cost... I feel that it's absurd. How do you all feel about a boneyard rack, I have a friend in the biz who's pretty honest and I feel like he'd be able to find a decent one instead. Should I go with brand new oem or boneyard?

Should I just swap the whole subframe out? How would you feel about me doing it myself? I'm capable but I lack a lift... plus I really don't have the patience for that kind of crap on a daily driver, we all know something will go wrong!

Basically, are these racks known for problems? I ask because this is first for me, I have never heard anything bad about these! This came at such a bad time too cause rent is due like now... uggggghhh! Please, any advice is good advice. Here are some pics to lighten the mood... It's a 02 20 btw, nothing fancy here.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.