Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GELLIN
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys;

I recentley purchased a 05 GLI with 30k miles on it loaded( Recaros,Brembos all the good stuff) shitty thing is it is auto:( o well when life gives you Lemons make Iced Tea. Anyway I have about 2000gs id like to put it into. As of right now my old car a PT Cruiser GT well out performs the Jetta and I dont like that. Just wondering what the best 1st step to take is. i was told I can chip it and get 300hp from someone else who owned a GLI but dont know if he was blowin smoke up my ass. I assume exhaust,downpipe,o2 housing would be on the list but dont know if its the best first step. I see these APR chips but cant find them anywhere. Any advice would be greatley appreciative. I love my Jetta and am sick of tired of my gf( who now has the PT) of spanking me up.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hey Guys;

I recentley purchased a 05 GLI with 30k miles on it loaded( Recaros,Brembos all the good stuff) shitty thing is it is auto:( o well when life gives you Lemons make Iced Tea. Anyway I have about 2000gs id like to put it into. As of right now my old car a PT Cruiser GT well out performs the Jetta and I dont like that. Just wondering what the best 1st step to take is. i was told I can chip it and get 300hp from someone else who owned a GLI but dont know if he was blowin smoke up my ass. I assume exhaust,downpipe,o2 housing would be on the list but dont know if its the best first step. I see these APR chips but cant find them anywhere. Any advice would be greatley appreciative. I love my Jetta and am sick of tired of my gf( who now has the PT) of spanking me up.
Welcome aboard! and awesome 30k!!! on a 05 thats awesome dude. well first i would recommend reading the sticky noob guide bolt on mods (http://jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/showthread.php?4336-Official-1.8T-Engine-Modifications-Thread) it gives you an idea of what you would be getting out of the car performance, to start.

and well you cant just CHIP the car and get 300 hp. as you said he was blowing some smoke... lol you could do the ECU stage 1 as a stock but you would be getting only around 210 - 220 hp which wont be as good.

My recommendation would be:

-Turbo Back Exhaust system (yes you are right with an o2 sensor) theres good brands out there (42 Draft designs, Eurojet, Borla, APR and such...) I recently ordered my 42dd TBE and ill be making a DIY for that. all of them give you about the same hp gains 10 - 18 so go with one that you like the sound and like.
- Intercooler... our Side Mount IC ( SMIC) gets heat-stroked pretty fast specially if you will chip it later on (you will be going from 8 - 12 psi stock to 18 - 22 chipped depending on what stage you go with) so you need a good Front mount IC (recommended and easy going on the pocket brand is Godspeed) around $475+shipping for the entire kit. (eurojet/APR/Forge you will be looking at a whopping $1000 just for the FMIC kit)
- Intake... a lot of people will argue with this but you can even use the SCM (swiss cheese mode) which you can read in the link i sent you. but you could get a Cold Air Intake and there will be a slight difference.

After that you will be kind of ready for a ECU tune, I got a lot of recommendations on Unitronics, depending on what stage you will go (http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ecu-tuning/Volkswagen-Jetta-GLI-MK4-18L-Turbo-2004-2005-180hp) Try getting an After Market Diverter Valve that will hold higher boost levels and think of getting an aftermarket turbo inlet hose.

Example so you see the big picture:
-TBE 42dd 3" race (already underway)
-FMIC (forge most likely)
-APR R1 Diverter valve
-CAI (soon)
-Colder Spark plugs NGK
- and some turbo inlet pipe

And then get a Tune ECU, i was told with that you can easily run Unitronics Stage 2 which = 275 lb/tq and 260 hp if Im correct.

Hopefully that helps man, welcome aboard and any questions feel free to pm me or something, we have to beat that PT cruiser!!!! Hahahhahahaha jk

·
Super Moderator
13,682 Posts
Lmao 300hp from a chip haha haha haha that's grew they really were blowin smoke, you'll be lucky to hit 200hp from a chip but first off I would do a manual swap to get rid of the auto

Sent from space through a satellite

·
Registered
890 Posts
If you can host an image on the internet anywhere you can post it in the forum. Also you can upload 3mb of photo's an album in your profile, found out about the limit yesterday when i uploaded a bunch of photos to my album. SOOOO one way or another, MAKE WITH THE PICS!! lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.