Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

New Here & First Time Owner

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  AlphaBetaJetta 
#1 ·
First-time owner of a used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Saden 4 door 2.0l L4 8-cylinder 5 speed manual transmission and she needs some serious TLC due to the previous owners not taken care of her... My fiance and I bought this car from my aunt for pretty, pretty cheap, she only knew two of the problems which were the exhaust and the cadillac converter when there's actually more than those two problems... In the very beginning, before we got it, the Jetta wasn't running at all, the previous owner before my aunt ended up with it put it in the garage and refused to let them complete the whole job... The mechanic was only able to change the fuel pump and get the car to actually run... Now when we first got the old girl, she was running and driving with no issues except she was loud from missing about 8in of exhaust all the way to the tailpipe... It's wintertime now, so that means freezing cold weather!!!... LOL!!!.. My fiance just recently changed the water pump and timing belt, she might need a new alternator since it's not charging the correct battery that's in it now but we can take the battery from our pickup and put it in the Jetta and she'll start right up... Now when trying to start her all she does is make a clicking noise once you turn the key over, if anyone might know what's causing this issue I would greatly appreciate any kinda answers and some great advice, please.... Thank you in advance

#3 ·
Yes and yes!!!... He figured out it was the water pump, he replaced it she started right up.. Than she started over heating, engine misfired and now she won’t start Or even turn over... He thinks it has something to do with the timing belt but I think it might be more than just that

#4 ·
Sounds like more than just alternator.

If you hear clicks with a new battery in, that s alternator is not charging the battery.

Diagnose if the alternator is faulty, and replace it. It’s very easy to replace it.

Also overheating, check the sensors! If coolant pump is newly installed, inspect temperature sensor. Also inspect coolant level.

I’m assuming you folks have at least a basic scan tool to read fault codes. If not, invest in one. Vcds cables or similar are the best option.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.