Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone, I am the very happy new owner of a 1998 Jetta GLS. I've never owned a VW before and I was hoping that I could find a forum where there were some real experts on the vehicle.

My Jetta is a 2.0L engine with a 5-speed transmission. It's in really great shape, just over 100k miles.

What I wanted to know from the people who are experts is what kind of things I should keep up with/look out for to take the best care possible of my new Jetta. Are there any known problems with this model or quirky things like that? Of course I'm planning on doing some research when time permits, but asking the experts is usually a horse of a different color. So, lay it on me! :D

I LOVE THIS CAR!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer said that they checked the timing belt and it was good, but how would I check on the water pump to see if it's new/messed up?

·
lowness and dopeness
4,818 Posts
don't trust them. Tell them you want documents that the belt has been changed. Its overdue man..most people say 60k, others say 90 to 100k it should be changed. Either way, its time. You don't want it to snap while driving home lol

the water pump's aren't as a big deal on mk3 2.0's as the vr6's..so. but its easier to change while the timing belt is off

1 - 5 of 5 Posts