Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I'm new here and was looking for a little help. First I don't have a Jetta but hope to soon. Need another car to get to work. I wanted a diesel since I own a semi and won't have to pay for fuel. Anyway my big truck can go a million plus miles before a rebuild. What kind of life can I expect from the 1.9. I'm looking at 2 06 TDi's wit about 140k miles on each. I don't think that's much but don't kno anything about these cars. I do have a A4 convertible but that's a gas 3.0.

Also what should I be looking out for so I don't get burned. What's the common issues or tell signs wit these

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
WELL taken care of, they'll last 500,000+ miles. Older ones have cam lobe wear issues,
so OIL is key. Use 5W40 diesel motor oil. Walmart has DEL400, I used that and Rotella T6
and got 243,000+ miles out of my 2013 before buy back, ALL original... I have seen MK5s
with 330,000 miles on them, with doing the timing belt at the intervals.

Make sure when you buy one, the timing belt was done on either of them, but at 140k, it's
due for the second timing belt change, if not just done. When it's done, they do the
water pump too, and sometimes the oil pump chain.

I am keeping my eyes open for an 06-08 myself... Do not buy an 09-14, you won't
be keeping it past March 2018, not to mention they're impossible to find...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts