Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i turn my wheel moving slowly maybe around 5 to 10 miles an hour i get a whining noise usually followed by what sounds like, well basically it sounds like i have a bowling ball rolling around but in the front of my car i checked to make sure my trunk was free from anything moving that could of been causing noise. Im not really moving fast enough when this happens for that to really matter im not sure if this happens at higher speeds as the wheels not being turned as aggressively the knocking doesnt come until the wheel is about 80 to 90 % turned does anyone have any idea what this might be?

·
Broke Jetta Junkie
242 Posts
When i turn my wheel moving slowly maybe around 5 to 10 miles an hour i get a whining noise usually followed by what sounds like, well basically it sounds like i have a bowling ball rolling around but in the front of my car i checked to make sure my trunk was free from anything moving that could of been causing noise. Im not really moving fast enough when this happens for that to really matter im not sure if this happens at higher speeds as the wheels not being turned as aggressively the knocking doesnt come until the wheel is about 80 to 90 % turned does anyone have any idea what this might be?
the whining is your power steering. knocking....i have no clue, sorry bruv

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well yeah the whining is the power steering i know that but its also a lot louder and higher pitched then normal this wouldnt bother me on its own but when the two are combined you know i rather get it taken care of if it needs to be before something expensive breaks

·
G&M Performance
1,337 Posts
well yeah the whining is the power steering i know that but its also a lot louder and higher pitched then normal this wouldnt bother me on its own but when the two are combined you know i rather get it taken care of if it needs to be before something expensive breaks
If you power steering starts whining check your fluid soon. What sounds like has happened is you ran it on low/no power steering fluid for a while and now you probably need to replace either the power steering pump or the steering rack.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sometimes the springs will bind up when the top components go bad (the hats, bushings, etc.)

The noise you are hearing may be the spring twisting up and then releasing. My car did it way back in the day when I had OEM springs in still. Its just a though, its a common issue on MKIVs when bushings go bad. The spring is supposed to turn with the strut when you turn the wheel, but if it does not, when it recoils it makes a knocking noise.

Check it out. Otherwise it could be a number of things. Check you ball joins, subframe bushings, and jack the car up and wiggle the wheels back and forth (one hand on top one on bottom) to see if the wheel bearings are going bad. The usually make a nice howling noise when they are going out, but not always.

If your power steering is low, and has been low for a while, it could be very well be a steering rack issue too.

You have some troubleshooting to do! Get back to us when you find out more!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the power steering was low i added more fluid today and it got rid of the whining noise the knocking also diminished slightly but its still there ill have to check it out ill probably do it tomorrow since ill have access to a lift then far easier and more comfortable then jacking up a car haha but i got a new problem i got a code for cooling system performance and from my understanding i may need either a new sensor or thermostat or both

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
If its a continuous knocking, I'd say it sounds like strut mounts/bearings.

If its a single knock, CV joint.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
define continuous id say its more of a single knocking but basically it knocks when i get to a certain point and then one more time if i go all the way and then sometimes about 50% of the time it knocks when im straitening the wheel back after but it doesnt keep knocking after i reach the point where it knocked if that makes sense. And someone else told me that it was probably the cv joint how hard is it to get to it to check it out / replace it

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
define continuous id say its more of a single knocking but basically it knocks when i get to a certain point and then one more time if i go all the way and then sometimes about 50% of the time it knocks when im straitening the wheel back after but it doesnt keep knocking after i reach the point where it knocked if that makes sense. And someone else told me that it was probably the cv joint how hard is it to get to it to check it out / replace it
Replacement isn't too in depth, but requires a couple special tools... Checking it can be somewhat difficult. First you wanna look at the CV boot (where the axle meets the transmission) and see if its torn. If so, its likely foreign objects got in there and screwed with the joint.

And yeah, 1 or 2 pops only sounds alot like a CV issue.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
you just have to be quicker then the coolant coming at you. ninja skillz are a must! haha
When you think you've got this skill perfected, give me a call, I wanna watch =)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts