Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

In a couple of days I'm going to go test drive a 2006 2.5 Jetta and a Crown Vic (completely opposite cars of each other, I know). Whichever car I get will be replacing my old '97 Honda CR-V which has a slew of problems such as a transmission slip and other things that just aren't worth the money to fix.

The Jetta is posted for $5,995 and has 162,000KM (100,000 miles) on it. I was wondering if there's anything I should look for when test driving it that would seem unusual. Also, how reliable are the 2006 Jettas? Is the price good for that many miles on it?

Here's a picture of it from the Dealer's site:

· Registered
2 Posts
I have an 06 Jetta going into surgery tomorrow, he's having a new clutch kit & 200km service done. Then new suspension kit and re-spray, doing the interior spruce up myself.

He's an Australian version though, probably a similar car all the same. He's a 6-speed 2L FSI and not much tweaking can be done on the FSI.

We don't have the 2.5L from what I have found, don't take my word for it. Although, I am looking into a small twin turbo that was apparently issued but very rare over here in the MK5. Just so I am looking at the soccer mum's in the rearview mirror. Apparently, the small twin turbo is perfect for my Jet and I am better to do that than a 1st stage tune.

In terms of a recurring problem, I don't have one other than the oxidation on the headlights. #beware It's definitely a VW MK5 problem but there are remedies and depends on your climate. I'm in the Far Northern Tropics of Australia, I use a high DEET insect repellent on them and have not had to sand back.

I have gone through too many clutches, I feel but I am yet to fully diagnose the current clutch problem. It's slipping, although it may be xyz such as just the plate. The genuine clutch is a dual mass flywheel, the standard are single mass flywheel. The MK5 apparently the last to have been issued with the dual mass. The conversion kit is a decent penny but will be less expensive overall. The single with conversion and dual mass kits are about the same price over here.

I am seriously hoping to hear tomorrow that I only need to replace the single mass flywheel or the plate, not the whole darn kit. Happy to keep you posted if you like.

The car drives well and it handles my driving so it's pretty solid German (Mexican) plastic.

I don't deal with the contrasting weather that you are accustomed to, no snow at the Great Barrier Reef mate. You probably don't have the same issues with the crap glue in Canada. I've had the hood lining done and doing the interior door cards begrudgingly myself. The shitte glue VW use is not conducive to the Australian heat but it is terrible to remove too. I'd say 99% of the MK5 hood lining and door card inserts have had to be replaced in the MK5s over here. And, I can not pay the auto-upholsterer here to do my door cards. He laughed and said 250AUD a door card, I told him what I thought of that terrible price he'd just given me. He then offered me whatever I needed materials wise to do it myself. It's a cracker of a job they tell me. I did commercial upholstery part time while going through university, so it can't be too hard I'm hoping. Worth checking for lifting fabric and trims and any sagging parts in the hood lining.

Just an FYI, the VW Jetta model is not available in Australia any more. I am not a fan of the MK6 Jetta and I can not justify the price of the MK7 which I think is the last one off production in the Australian version. So, I am sticking with the devel I know and putting some cash back in him rather than buy a new car. Which is an 18 month wait in Australia at the moment. With that, second hand cars have doubled in value to the point of being a market supply shortage, they say.

All-in-all, my 06 Jetta has increased in value by about 5-8K in the last 12 or so months. I'm hoping you get the bigger picture here, as I am still a bit hesitant to put money in to an almost 20yo car. However, I think my Jet is worth the investment now to get more years our of him of course. But, the big picture is he is also an antique now, he's increasing in value with age and the Australian version of the Jetta is obsolete. The MK5 golf was a sell out over here and one many awards etc, the hatchback is everyone's favorite. I'm a Jetta every day of the year, don't do li'l cars at all they are no good in an accident. Just putting that in there.

Once a Jetta, always a Jetta.

Overall, it's a no-brainer for me, you would go the Jetta over the Crown every day, I would have thought. We don't have Crown's in Australia, that I am aware of. The Jetta won't disappoint and hope it's an overall good well looked after car for you.

I'm finding it hard to swallow spending the money I am (5K budget w re-spray) on a car that's nearly 20yo. But the math works out better for me here and now. He's been reliable, only let me down once over x years is a pretty good result. There are lemons of course, you can not be too sure. If you know what the average wear and tare is and going in knowing the age of the car there will hopefully be no surprises. Never know, you may have an 'antique' Jet too.

Feel free to ask a lot of questions when you check the car out. Even put the voice recorder on your phone on, if it is cool by law etc. Then come back to the forum with questions, folks are genuinely very helpful on the various VW forums.

Over on f a c e b o o k there are some MK5 groups definitely worthy of checking out. The Australian MK5 group I think it is, has a link to all docs/diagrams/manuals etc etc you need to work on your MK5. The group is quite active too, moreso I would suggest too. If you want my username over on that platform is @SairMcKee, happy to connect and send you a link to the MK5 folder of info I have, no worries at all.

Lastly, go the Jetta noobs, I love my Jet.

The Crown after all is a constant link to the TV series highlighting English royalty. You may want to re-think that?! Just sayin'... The strength and grunt of the VW Jetta wins. It's safety features and shear weight I imagine are positives for you. It'll be solid in the snow too I'm guessing.

Go the potential antique Jet.

All the best.

Sair

@SairMcKee

· Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

In a couple of days I'm going to go test drive a 2006 2.5 Jetta and a Crown Vic (completely opposite cars of each other, I know). Whichever car I get will be replacing my old '97 Honda CR-V which has a slew of problems such as a transmission slip and other things that just aren't worth the money to fix.

The Jetta is posted for $5,995 and has 162,000KM (100,000 miles) on it. I was wondering if there's anything I should look for when test driving it that would seem unusual. Also, how reliable are the 2006 Jettas? Is the price good for that many miles on it?

Here's a picture of it from the Dealer's site:
I don't know where you are located but a 2006 Jetta 2.5 in my area is worth only $3,000. I bought one for $1,000 with only one owner and has 137,000 miles on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts