Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here it is! I talk about Seafoam all the time, and how its a great tuneup item that everybody should get their hands on. This is the official DIY. There's lots of them out there, especially on Vortex, but this is the single proper way to do it.

I did it on my 2004.5 Jetta GLI 1.8T, but this procedure works the same for naturally aspirated engines too.

Lets get to business...

*** Before you even start this process, make sure the engine is up to operating temperature. DO NOT perform a Seafoam tune-up while the engine is cold!

Materials you'll need:

1. A can of seafoam, ofcourse! $10, available at your local autozone/advance auto.
2. A cup. I used a flimsey paper cup, but I'm sure you kids have some Solo's laying around somewhere :D
3. A buddy! Yes, you will need another person to help you out. Make sure he/she has a steady throttle foot.
4. 1.5 feet of CLEAR 1/4'' vacuum hose. I got mine from NAPA for $1.12. 1/4'' is the right size for the 1.8T models, but I'm not sure about VR6 or 2.0 engines. Just have one of the guys come outside and measure the proper vacuum source, which you'll see later in the DIY.
5. 1 golf tee (not pictured below).
6. (Optional, and not pictured below) Small universal hose clamp... Screw type. Maybe $0.40 at your local hardware store/walmart.

*Don't mind that male-male fitting in the picture. I was gonna use it and decided against it.

Step 1. 50% of the Seafoam gets dumped into the cup.

Step 2. Go out to the car open the hood, and remove the top throttle body hose. Its one of those ''One time use crush clamps''. Somehow I got mine back on, but I reccomend replacing it with a small universal hose clamp.

Once it's off, insert the 1/4'' vacuum hose into the throttle body section, and insert the golf tee into the black TB hose you just removed. The tee is also optional, but it helps reduce vacuum leakage, and keeps idle steadier while performing the following steps.

Step 3. Have your buddy turn the engine on, and mentally come to terms with what you're about to do... Which is, suck liquid directly into your engine lol.

Step 4. As soon as the engine fires up, have the other guy/girl rev AND hold the motor at 2,000 - 2,500 RPM's.

Step 5. Cup in hand, begin dipping the end of the clear vacuum hose into the seafoam. The trick here is not to let the vacuum hose submerge into the liquid. You want to just suck SOME of the Seafoam from the surface, dipping frequently, but allowing air to be sucked in with the liquid. You never want to see the hose completely filled with liquid. After a couple minutes, you'll get the hang of it, and be able to steadily suck a nice mixture of air/seafoam into the engine. Another key point here is, DO NOT LET THE ENGINE STALL! If this does happen, wait a couple seconds, start it up, and continue, but if you're patient, this won't happen.

By this point, you'll realize Seafoam creates ALOT of smoke lol, and it's entirely normal.

Step 6: As soon as all of the Seafoam has been sucked into the engine, cut the ignition, and patiently wait **5-10 minutes**.

Step 7. After no more than 10 minutes, get back in the car, and fire her up. You'll notice a nice plume of smoke upon ignition lol. From here, let it idle for approximately 10 minutes. After 10 minutes has passed, get in the car, and drive it around untill smoke no longer comes out of the tail pipe, or, about another 10 minutes. You can scroll around like your grandmother, or drive like you're in the WRC, either way you'll get the job done, and not damage the car.

Now, you have 2 options. You can leave it at that, or go all out. I personally chose to go all out. BUT, if you do the following, you're on a strict time limit.

What you CAN do (its not necessary) is use up the remaining Seafoam to clean out your injectors, fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, as well as the valve/cam housing, crank case, and oil pan.

Pour 1/2 of the remaining Seafoam (or, 1/4 of the total bottle) into your oil. Then, pour the last of the Seafoam into your fuel tank.

If you so choose to do these final steps, you will NEED to burn that entire tank of fuel before you change your oil, AND you will need to change your oil no later than 1 week after Seafoaming.

If you DO NOT pour Seafoam into your oil/fuel tank, you will still need to change your oil within 1 week maximum, but no sooner than 1 day after.

Results: Idle is MUCH steadier (wasn't even bad before, but now it doesn't move at all), steadier vacuum, smoother acceleration, more powerful acceleration (third gear felt quite a bit more powerful), steadier boost throughout the RPM range, and 1 more mpg average.

Necessary time: Approx. 45 - 60 minutes.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL taken, sir ;)

·
Representin' Deutschland
657 Posts
Freaking Awesome boost! Too bad you didn't have this up before I dropped $150 on a fuel system cleanout...which did not appear to improve my gas mileage anyway...

Either way, SO glad you did this! Now I just need to grow the stones to actually do it...

·
Bubble Boy
6,122 Posts
maybe i could just go along and be the 3rd wheel? she looks like a monster lol

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol I wouldn't say it's a monster, but it can move pretty well...

I need a TBE to get some real top end power.

·
Bubble Boy
6,122 Posts
chris, when you have a 2.0, alot of cars are monsters : p

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With a fully built suspension, you can beat alot of the monsters out there on all kinds of twisy roads and rally type environments lol

Gotta look at the bright side man lol

So what'd ya think about the DIY? Clear? Good?

·
Bubble Boy
6,122 Posts
i can neither afford or build a suspension, im not that talented lol most tools will only race in a straight line anyways.

But yeah i thought it was pretty clear, pictures are nice and you tell it how it is. i'd do it but i dont have the balls lol

sticky it dawg your a mod now!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Great DIY! Just to clarify for a 2.0 is the below hose the correct one to use right off the throttle body. This is just a pic i had handy if you need a better one let me know and i will get one. Thanks.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Good job man!
guess what i'll be doing this weekend haha

question: Theres no way i can burn a whole tank within a week, can i get half tank and 1/8 content of seafoam?

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah you can do whatever ratio of fuel/Seafoam you want. I had a quarter tank of fuel when I put a quarter can of SF in.

Might even be better that way, more concintration of SF going through the injectors.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
Good write up, I might have to do this. Add this to the DIY's too.

Chris, why the hell are your rims 2 different colors? The back one looks good with your car, the front one looks eh though lol.

·
Premium Member
14,456 Posts
P.S. you should have entered in augusts rotm. You engine bay looks amazing, no dust even in there! Plus that turbo set up is nice and shiney.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
P.S. you should have entered in augusts rotm. You engine bay looks amazing, no dust even in there! Plus that turbo set up is nice and shiney.

Haha I JUST cleaned it. Got some engine bay cleaner... some hardcore ****. Did that a few times, then believe it or not, tire shine makes everything look new. All rubber hoses, plastics...

Just found out the other day that tire shine works great in restoring the black in all the rubber seals around the doors, the rain tray under the windshield, and also the inner wheel fenders.

And yeah I was hoping nobody would notice those wheels lol. I blew a tire a while back.... the whole thign came off, and the road tore up the lip of the wheel... had to get it repaired and repowdered. ASC ****ed me over again, took A MONTH to do the wheel, and it was the wrong color. Needless to say, I flipped a **** and refused to pay.

No joke though, I'm leaving in about 5 mins to have it repowdered by another place thats about a half hour from my house. Luckily some local dubbers said they're real good.

Its like impossible to color match w/ powder though... I'm hoping they can come close. If not, I might do them all over again... I really would rather not cause I dont have the cash. I might ask you later if you can do some photoshopping for me on different color wheels on the GLI.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good write up, I might have to do this. Add this to the DIY's too.

Chris, why the hell are your rims 2 different colors? The back one looks good with your car, the front one looks eh though lol.

Oh yeah, and thanks :mad:

Its the back one thats ****ed up lol. The front one is the right color. The rear looks MUCH different in sunlight though.. Its way lighter than it looks in the picture.

Originally they were supposed to be a few shades darker than my car... Like a charcoal grey. Specifically, the new ''Charcoal Grey'' that toyota uses on the newer Yaris's as well as tC's.

Woulda looked dope. Too bad ASC is a bullshit business.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Would anybody know which hose do i take off on a MK2 92 jet 8v

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No hoses comming off the throttle body?

Really, any hose thats connected directly to the intake manifold should work, but the throttle body is the best.

·
Mountaineer Member
21 Posts
Nice DIY! I've preformed this on all my vehicles and it works like a charm, but have yet to do it to the Jetta....hmm

1 - 20 of 139 Posts