Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I'm a first time Jetta owner and love it so far. I'm not mechanically inclined but noticed my rear tires are wearing fast. It's been 4 months since I've purchased the used vehicle but I've had 2 qualified mechanics take a look. It appears that the Driver Rear is Positive Toe and the Passenger Rear is Negative Camber. I've been told the entire bar (forgive me for not knowing the name) needs to be replaced. There are NO signs of anything being bent, and the rims don't appear to have hit something. Anyway, the best price for a used part and labor was around $500. Any opinions here?

2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T 6 Speed

·
not your typical air ride
7,193 Posts
Hi Everyone, I'm a first time Jetta owner and love it so far. I'm not mechanically inclined but noticed my rear tires are wearing fast. It's been 4 months since I've purchased the used vehicle but I've had 2 qualified mechanics take a look. It appears that the Driver Rear is Positive Toe and the Passenger Rear is Negative Camber. I've been told the entire bar (forgive me for not knowing the name) needs to be replaced. There are NO signs of anything being bent, and the rims don't appear to have hit something. Anyway, the best price for a used part and labor was around $500. Any opinions here?

2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T 6 Speed
bar? Are you talking about the axle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't help or have all the adjustments to fix the issue. At this point I'm thinking the Axle does need to be replaced :(

·
7,193 Posts
Doesn't help or have all the adjustments to fix the issue. At this point I'm thinking the Axle does need to be replaced :(
there are a lot of things that can cause camber/toe that AREN'T the axle. Are you positive its the axle? There are much cheaper fixes, balljoints, tie rods that with inproper care can cause camber and toe in various degrees. Im pretty surprised the mechanic went straight to the axle. Could you have meant the sway bar?

·
Keep'em Hammered
856 Posts
so mechanics say theres no signs of a bent axle but it could be the whole axle causing this? check your mounting points for the axle. look at the bushings. see if the axle shifted. check for any loose hardware on both mounting points of rear axle. you wont be able to move these bolts with your hands cause of the weight obviously but look around. and while your down there Take pictures!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know your "mechanic" (I'm using that term loosely) told you your axle is bent. Your car doesnt have a rear axle. It has 4 wheel independent suspention. Something could be bent, not likely unless the car was in a wreck. And more likely out of adjustment. I would shop around for a new place to get your car worked on...

·
Keep'em Hammered
856 Posts
I know your "mechanic" (I'm using that term loosely) told you your axle is bent. Your car doesnt have a rear axle. It has 4 wheel independent suspention. Something could be bent, not likely unless the car was in a wreck. And more likely out of adjustment. I would shop around for a new place to get your car worked on...
mk4's do have A rear axle. correction to your "4 wheel independent suspension" is Rear Independent torsion beam axle. meaning it has a rear axle with trailing arms that mount the rear hubs.

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
As stated above, its a torsion beam axle and one of the downfalls to that is its completely non adjustable. If something is wrong you have no choice but to replace the rear axle, you may not tell its bent but alignment racks don't lie.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

·
7,193 Posts
As stated above, its a torsion beam axle and one of the downfalls to that is its completely non adjustable. If something is wrong you have no choice but to replace the rear axle, you may not tell its bent but alignment racks don't lie.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
no but mechanics do....id be careful with amount of paper that comes out of your pocket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One mechanic was a "jetta junkie" and drove his everyday. Seemed to really know all the ins and outs and spent an extra hour with me chatting about jetta stuff. He initially said the axle needed to be replaced but suggested I get another opinion as he hadn't seen that exact issue before.

Second mechanic said same thing...

Looks like they are probably right :(

Guess I was hoping for a "aha" moment but oh well. Wasn't planning on something like this so soon but can't put new tires on until it's fixed.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I had the same issue in a different car (my dads murano). Complete rear suspension from the junk yard with much less miles and about $750 after car drives like a dream.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts