Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
CaseyLynn
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the fan works, replaced the thermostat, replaced the upper radiator hose housing, and just changed the radiator relay in the car... She drives fine but overheats and I can't figure out what it is.. I haven't fixed the relay on the bottom/top of the fuse box yet. i checked the radiator fuse in the box and it was not blown or anything i replaced for good measure. She still overheats. Someone tell me it is not my waterpump. She has antifreeze and everything. I am just kinda befuddled and would like an answer cause my daily isn't meeting its daily needs :) Help a girl out.. :D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Ok. Run the car. Grab the upper and lower rad hose when the car is hot. Just be careful. It's hot but not enough to burn u unless u hold them for a long time. If the upper hose it hotter than the bottom hose than ur waterpump went. That's the best to my knowledge of the basic overheating check list.

I sent this thru the Intranet™

·
CaseyLynn
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why thank you, we checked the water pump and it is not the water pump :) which makes me very happy, i replaced the radiator fan sensor switch and it is still overheating but come find out the god damn part broke. thank you advanced auto :p Checked for a blown head gasket and that is not it either.. need to replace this and see how it works.. and if it doesn't work than I am going to get a switch plugged from the battery to the fan to the inside of the car and just ghetto turn that on so the fan will turn on :) The fan works great, shocked my ass trying to figure it out :p Thank You so much

·
Digifook.
716 Posts
I'll agree to that, Sounds like the pump has gone.

but:

Does it over heat only when your're just sat there or does it over heat if your cruising along?
Does the fan come on when its suppost to or did you just jump it to the battery to test the motor works?
How old is the rad?

·
CaseyLynn
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car overheats driving and idling the fan does not come on at all. I am getting a new sensor switch and if it doesn't work than I am hooking it to the battery and putting a light switch and create a closed circuit between the battery, radiator fan, and hooking it into the interior of the car and turning it on and off with the car. I heard most of the problems with this idea is that the fan can not kick into overdrive? I am not to sure but I guess I will find out.

·
Digifook.
716 Posts
Once youre on the roll the temp should come down. The fan should kick in when the gague hits just above mid way. And depending on your car it may be a 2 speed sensor. Heres what to check rather than running a manual switch:

-Fuse for the fan? Does it exist? is it popped?
-Unplug the fan and jump it from the battery. Does it work?
-About 6" from the fan should be an electrical connection coming from the thermo temp switch on the bottom drivers side of the rad. Un plug that and check out how green and corroded the connection is, Clean it re install it.
-Depending on the year on the top, drivers side of the rad is a relay for the fan. Yank it out, clean it up. On early models they can be inside on the fuse panel but most of the time they are on top of the rad. The only other electrics related to the cooling system going past that is the power take off from the harness at the fuse panel. outside of that all the business is up at the front.

Start it and let it sit while warming up with the hood shut. If there is still no fan replace the thermo temp switch on the rad. That should solve the fan issue.

The problem with running a manual fan is that if you forget about it you can overheat, or if you forget to turn it off you can put one hell of a pull on the battery if you turn the car off and leave the fan running more than a min or so.

·
steelies.mandatory.
1,139 Posts
ok for one stop driving it.
you checked the pump, in which you probably discovered that it has plastic impeller that are prone to fail cause they are ****. gonna wanna get an upgraded one sooner than later. (think bits of plastic sucked thru your coolant system, nice going vw)
stop with the sensors, relays and blah blah blah.
you say your fan is not coming on.

REPLACE YOUR THERMOSTAT.

does it bubble in the reservoir?

CafeRacer;201915 The problem with running a manual fan is that if you forget about it you can overheat said:
another problem is people dont realize that those rad fans run a DECENT amount of amps. youll have to run a pretty hunky switch, and some good guage wiring. dont be the guy who smells smoke under his dash on a hot day, and god forbid it happen in the engine bay. im willing to bet right now you dont have a fire extinguisher in your car....

but.....
you shouldnt need to do any of this. replace the thermostat, figure like 20 bucks at autozone. back on your merry way.
let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
same problem- dirty connects , the fan not coming on- so went over the connects - old 92 Jetta car 500 k k's, and jumped the two outside wires in the rad temp sensor to a switch lid sw fr a washer] into cab- works fine
took a while to warm up and rad got real hot but finally the thermostat opened and cool bottom hose warmed up and the fan came in in slow mode- I assume it will come on high as my by pass does when it gets hot enough
My htheory fire hazard should be diminished as the power is not taken from relay but from sensor trip wire that goes to relay
going to watc it but seems to be working- biggest problem is getting seised oil filter off- cant as my wrench bent
no room to work so leery about stabbinf a screwdriver through it any ideas?
got to replace a missing bolttighten the power steering pump belt

ps- where is the thermostat housing?
que - is it normal to see bubbles moving through fuel feed hose?
I have np manual or xperince with these machines
thnx
excited about the car

·
Digifook.
716 Posts
Juiced Jetta:

Actually I do have a fire extinguisher in my car. But my car is no more a fire hazard than the day it rolled off the lot.

Secondly every mk2 water pump ive pulled off an engine has a metal impeller. Not plastic. Lastly the fact it says in the first post the thermostat was changed, its more likley that the Americans actually went to the moon than a brand new thermostat failed closed.

·
steelies.mandatory.
1,139 Posts
oooh someones in a good mood. sorry thought it was a mk4. dont know **** bout mk2s. chill pill.

·
Registered
26 Posts
mine seems to have settled down- though fan is on low when I start
biggest issue I have now is trying to get it into 1st gear- can do 2 out 5 of attempts- pretty worn assembly- mybe put a helper spring on it if I can figure it out
also went to drain h2o out of deisel filter and nada- but engine started to stumble an quit briefly - ges it needs replacement
aslo bubbles in clear line to injector
put a 800 amp battery in - starts easier now
removed back seat back so more room for the big dog
engine oil plug leaking and also power steerng connector grr
love the car - really cruises in 5th and I can afford to fill the tank
put my chev astro guzzler up for sale
also got t tightmn emerg brake as I drift back trying to find 1 st lol
have a good one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts