Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I let my mom drive my car for a day, something goes wrong. Figures! :p

Anyway. I have a 1999.5 Jetta 2.0L automatic with 143,000 miles. The car starts up and runs/shifts/etc fine. The car hit a rather large raccoon the day it started having overheating issues, cracking the lower bumper and knocking out one of the front bumper air diffusers (one of the many reasons I am apprehensive to slam my car :( since it is currently riding stock height). The car does have the proper amount of coolant.

The problem is: I can start the car and drive, and the car will heat up normally to 190 degrees F, and it acts like the thermostat opens because the temperature doesn't rise any higher. However, if I keep driving for another 5 min or so, it will begin to rise past 190 degrees and the warning light for overheating will come on. From my personal investigations, the lower fan(the small one) will turn on when the car is idling at a hot temperature or when the AC is turned on. I haven't been able to get the Upper fan to turn on at all. Even when overheating, the heater inside the car won't blow hot air, which leads me to believe that it isn't circulating coolant. While hot, if I check the lower and upper radiator hoses, the lower hose is cool enough to grab and hold onto and the upper hose is almost burning hot (also leads me to believe its the water pump from checking other threads).

I'm going to check all the fan and cooling system electrical connections asap. I was wondering if you guys had any other ideas for me before I drop the money on a new water pump. Also, there are two different water pumps for this year of car. One runs off of the serpentine belt and the other off the timing belt. Being a noob with jetta's, Is there a way I can tell which my car has without tearing it apart? And if it does end up being the water pump, are there any tips on replacing it?

This is my DD so hopefully I can get it back up and running soon :D

All help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I had this similar problem and the fix for.me was thermostat. Sometimes in 25% cases the fan is no good. 25% is thermostat. 50% is the water pump. So the 7$ fix first which is the thermostat.
Find which engine u have.
This link is for the AEG engine.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=2271429
Belt n water pump

I sent this thru the Intranet™

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would I go about finding out which engine I have? I tried running my vin, no go. And thanks for the link! The upper fan is bad. It won't spin freely when I spin it by hand, so thats something else I need to replace. I don't think thats my only problem however. I also checked all the connections and they seemed to be fine. Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
How would I go about finding out which engine I have? I tried running my vin, no go. And thanks for the link! The upper fan is bad. It won't spin freely when I spin it by hand, so thats something else I need to replace. I don't think thats my only problem however. I also checked all the connections and they seemed to be fine. Thanks for the help :)
The engine code is on the left side (front if engine) ( engine is sideways in the engine bay) . Its on a cover we'll tbelt cover. Its a sticker with a bar code. Look on that 3 letters for ur engine code

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have the AEG engine. So thats a plus. So, as for recommendations, should I start off by replacing just the thermostat and the broken fan to see if that fixes the problem? Or should I go ahead and replace the thermostat, fan, water pump, and timing belt? The timing belt is "due" for a replacement, but I haven't had any problems with that yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, which thermostat temperature would I need? They sell 160, 180, 192, and 195 degree thermostats for this car and I'm not sure what sort of difference that makes. I believe 180 degrees is the OE temperature?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Also, which thermostat temperature would I need? They sell 160, 180, 192, and 195 degree thermostats for this car and I'm not sure what sort of difference that makes. I believe 180 degrees is the OE temperature?
Replace thermostat to start. These cars are weird with the cooling system. But um. I think it's 180. There is an upgraded version I think. Also throw in a 12$ temp sender. It should be a green top. Test waters with that. If fans come on and stabilizes the temp then problem solved. If its starts to overheat. Tbelt and waterpump. Most likely ur water pump blew up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I ended up going to autozone and buying a thermostat, coming home and deciding that if I was gonna do this I might as well do it right. So I went to ecstuning.com and ordered the water pump, timing belt kit, coolant, plus a few sensors. No point in doing it half a$$ if I need to replace the timing belt anyway this summer. This car was also never taken back in for the recall on the water pump, so it still had the plastic impeller. Hopefully by this weekend I'll be back up and running. Its hard to get to work with no car ;)

·
GLI Newb
4,206 Posts
Well, I ended up going to autozone and buying a thermostat, coming home and deciding that if I was gonna do this I might as well do it right. So I went to ecstuning.com and ordered the water pump, timing belt kit, coolant, plus a few sensors. No point in doing it half a$$ if I need to replace the timing belt anyway this summer. This car was also never taken back in for the recall on the water pump, so it still had the plastic impeller. Hopefully by this weekend I'll be back up and running. Its hard to get to work with no car ;)
The water pump isn't recalled lol from what I know it never was, it's just another pos vw plastic piece and if you take it to vw to get it fixed they'll just throw in another part with another plastic piece which will break again eventually.

Sent from my Phablet AKA Samsung Galaxy Note 4G LTE via the dark side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts