Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on VW's TDI site that the particulate filter "needs to be replaced at 120,000 miles."

We are looking at perhaps buying a TDI SportWagen. Is this an expensive job? I didn't know about this. (Add in a timing belt too at around 100,000 Miles.) Thanks.

·
AllShoNoGo
2,465 Posts
Diesel Particulate Filter

A diesel particulate filter separates particulate matter from the exhaust gases produced by diesel engines. Two different systems are in use at Volkswagen depending on the model: diesel particulate filters without an additive are fitted on models where the filter is positioned near to the engine. On models where such a positioning is not possible, systems with an additive are used. The filter with a catalytic coating works without an additive thanks to a coating containing precious metals which fulfils a dual function. Passive regeneration slowly and gently converts the particulate matter contained in the catalytic converter into CO2. This process occurs at temperatures between 350 and 500° C and can run continuously without the need for intervention, particularly in cars which are driven mostly on the highway. Only when vehicles are operated for prolonged periods at low engine loads - as in the case of city driving - does additional filter regeneration have to be carried out by actively raising the exhaust temperature to around 600° C every 1,000 to 1,200 kilometres. At this temperature, the particulate matter trapped in the filter burns off. On additive-based systems, the additive serves to reduce the particulate ignition temperature to around 500° C. Regeneration needs to be performed every 500−700 km, depending on driving style. The additive is automatically flushed into the fuel tank every time the driver refuels, with one litre of additive lasting for approx. 2,800 litres of fuel.

Heres a good read http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=193339 A little old but a good read...I don't see anywheres about a DPF replacement..only cleaning methods, I know a buddy of mine has this on his freightliner..he's had it on for 3 years now..never removed...and a crap load of miles on it..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the excellent explanation of the filter's function. Then it seems that a scheduled replacement is not a certainty and that's a good thing.

I read somewhere that another diesel strength is that the engine normally runs at a lower RPM while generating its characteristic high torque, so there's less wear of rotating parts. Another benefit I hadn't realized.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello, I have a 2014 VW Sportwagon with 122,000+miles and I have repeatedly had the diesel particulate filter icon light up over the past 4 years. The first time it occurred I researched it online and found this site. I tried driving it at high highway speeds to burn the matter off, but it didn't work. I took it to the dealer where they were able to regen-burn it off. It occurred a few more times and each time the dealer was able to burn it off. Two weeks ago I was driving home from my kid's house (2.5-hour drive- all highway) and my check engine light came on. When I took it to the dealer I was informed it needed a new diesel particulate filter and it cost (with labor) $2400.00. I am suspicious that since I was just over the warranty mileage of 120,000 that it now needed a new part when it was covered previously and they just burned it off. In either case, I will never know. These cars are expensive. If used cars weren't so costly, I would be looking for another car right now. The problem is that I do love this car. It still drives like a dream and the cargo space is just the right size for me to carry 5-7 50lb. bags of horse feed.
Since diesel fuel is expensive now and many newer gas cars are getting better mileage, this type of car is losing its value and appreciation. Good luck with your decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts