Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

So I picked up a 91 turbo Diesel but sadly it is not worth fixing. I am however parting out the car in case anything on my 92 Diesel breaks. So far I have taken off all of the motors, such as power steering pump, starter, windshield wiper pump and motor and almost everything else.

I am working on taking out all the useful glass and lights as well. My plan is to scrap it after I am done but I wanted to ask Jetta junkies if there were any parts for my MKII that I have to make sure to save because they are either very costly or really hard to find.

·
Digifook.
716 Posts
If you spend the time to gut a lot of the stuff you will make your money back. Unless someone offers to take the car off you take all the dash switches, wiper arm, signal arm, Save the blower motor and controls. Keep the dash if its intact and still good. Center consol, shift boot, E brake boot.

Take the steering knuckles out of the car. If the bearings are still good a lot of guys will buy used knuckles to install rather than punching new bearings in as it costs more. If its a manual take the gear box out. It will sell really fast! Look on craigs and other online places for pricing etc.

Pull the fuel tank and wash it out / vacuum it out. Those always sell. If the rad is in good shape it will sell, also the heat core too. Mirrors also tend to be a highly sought after item. if the seats are on good shape you can also get a few bux out of them also. "aero" rectangle headlights wont get you top doller but people often need a newer one as theirs are cracked. Same with the grille if its intact.

If you're steering rack isn't leaking pull it out, wash it and sell it. If you have a tilt adjust steering collum pull it and sell it.

If the carpet is in good shape give it a good steam clean and sell it, Headliner too. Both sell really fast out of mk2 cars. All the glass is worth keeping too. At the end of the day almost everthing in that car has value since they are still very common cars and a lot of people will keep buying used stuff to keep theirs on the road. If you strip it to the point that its just a rolling shell on crap wheels/tires you've done well.

No matter the condition of the engine if it doesn't have a hole in the block pull it and put it up for sale. Perhaps give it a de grease and hose down before you put it up for sale so people can see there's no cracks. A diesel engine in any shape will fetch you some monies. There are people who will buy them and have them completely rebuilt. You can also get a hold of a few companies that sell re-manufactured engines and see if they wanna buy it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Digifook

Thanks for the reply, looks like I have a bit more work ahead of me. Don't know if I will be able to get the engine out of this thing I am pretty limited to the tools and space that I have but I might give it a shot. I never thought to take out seats and carpet, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I am a bit limited on time, as they say on Game of Thrones "Winter is Coming", For me this is a pretty big deal as I am in Northern Alberta, Canada. So I am going to get to it a strip this thing down some more. I love the fact that I can do almost anything on the car with an 8mm, 10mm and a philips screwdriver.

Any specialty tools I should get in order to remove some of the parts you mentioned?

Thanks again for your post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts