Volkswagen Jetta Junkies banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Till the sky falls...
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to startup the car a couple days ago. After the valve cover gasket replacement, I was expecting smooth sailing.

That'd be too easy!

Here's the short end of the stick:

P0300 - Random Misfire
P2295 - Fuel Pressure Regulator 2 - Control Circuit Low
P0458 - Evaporative Emission System Purge Control Valve Low
P0245 - Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid Low
P2401 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection pump control circuit low
P0304 - Misfire in Cylinder 4
P0302 - Misfire in Cylinder 2
P0031 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0036 - HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

I've done quite a bit of research on Engine-codes.com... and the Repair Difficulty Level is at 3 (Hardest). But given the fact that i'm willing to do it myself. Chips all in.

Where would I even begin?

·
not your typical air ride
7,193 Posts
wait so you did a valve cover gasket replacement and THEN all this stuff happened. Or you had these issues and thought the valve cover gasket would fix these faults?

·
Till the sky falls...
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had issues prior to the gasket being removed. It's why I went ahead and did the replacement.

16/03/2015 P2295 Fuel pressure solenoid short to ground ECM has detected a short to ground condition on the Fuel Pressure Solenoid circuit
16/03/2015 P0243 Turbo/Super Charger wastegate solenoid "A" Open or short circuit condition
16/03/2015 P0444 EVAP system purge control valve circuit open. Open or short circuit condition
16/03/2015 P0036 Heated oxygen sensor - Bank 1 Senor 2 (H02S12). Heater control circuit. Open or short circuit condition
16/03/2015 P0030 Heated oxygen sensor - Bank 1 Senor 1 (H02S11). Heater control circuit. Open or short circuit condition
16/03/2015 P2400 Evapoative emission system leak detected. Pump control circuit open Open or short circuit condition

Was what the autozone gave me other than a couple P03xx codes. Which didn't seem to have changed too much. I kept the record in a spreadsheet just in case :)

·
not your typical air ride
7,193 Posts
Sounds like an electrical fault to me. You should start checking relay voltage. Both 02 sensors are pinging high heat and the fault is responding back to the ECM with your fuel pressure solenoid. Check your fuel pump relay in your fuse box by the battery. Its the bigger light grey fuse. Could result in a no start if this is toast does the car start? Check your wiring to the pump as well. Start researching proper voltage and see if you can find a short behind one of your fault codes

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I had issues prior to the gasket being removed. It's why I went ahead and did the replacement.

16/03/2015 P2295 Fuel pressure solenoid short to ground ECM has detected a short to ground condition on the Fuel Pressure Solenoid circuit
16/03/2015 P0243 Turbo/Super Charger wastegate solenoid "A" Open or short circuit condition
16/03/2015 P0444 EVAP system purge control valve circuit open. Open or short circuit condition
16/03/2015 P0036 Heated oxygen sensor - Bank 1 Senor 2 (H02S12). Heater control circuit. Open or short circuit condition
16/03/2015 P0030 Heated oxygen sensor - Bank 1 Senor 1 (H02S11). Heater control circuit. Open or short circuit condition
16/03/2015 P2400 Evapoative emission system leak detected. Pump control circuit open Open or short circuit condition

Was what the autozone gave me other than a couple P03xx codes. Which didn't seem to have changed too much. I kept the record in a spreadsheet just in case :)
A valve cover gasket would not cause all those codes, it would leak oil,
the oil could deteriorate wires and plugs after the fact..

Sounds like you have electrical issues, and made more of them when you
took the valve cover off. You need to check all wires and harnesses, plus
the plugs at the fuel injectors.

·
Till the sky falls...
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spark plug in cyclinder three had oil covering it.. Hence gasket replacement. The car has been known to just make oil disappear. I assumed from the engine drinking through it. It wouldn't last 3 thousand miles before I had to put more oil in it before all this trouble started.

A buddy of mine thought it might be the coil packs 2 & 4. Replaced them. no fix.

Unfortantly the car spews out noxious exhaust. It doesn't stall completely... just rocks violently and the CEL blinks after a few seconds. I'm guessing from engine knocking.

Do you think cleaning the injectors might help? Yes, I'm ignoring the elctrical issue at the moment. Mostly because I don't really have any idea how to test it. Besides the fuses and just checking if they're not blown. Except for the solid grey boxes. Might as well be a small hamster wheel in those things because I don't know what to do about those.

Here's a list of what i've done so far:

Replaced:
1. Fuel Filter.
2. Valve Cover Gasket
3. PVC Gasket
4. New Spark Plugs (All Cyc)
5. Coil Packs (In Cyc 2 & 4)

·
Till the sky falls...
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the car to start. Had to call out a mechanic to the house (also doubled as a old friend). With his wizardry to make sure that there was Fire [Pull out the coils and put two screw drivers together] and Fuel.

No Misfires:
Apparently there's a fuse that pops for F6. A '15' amp fuse. For the short time, he put in a '30' amp fuse. It was the only way the car would turn over -- once I replaced the spark plugs. The new spark plugs were gas fouled. So I went back to the auto place and warrantied them, with a warning that they wouldn't be able to warranty them again if they're gas fouled. :\

Anyways I missed the fuse because it didn't pop the first time around. And didn't think to check the spark plugs because I had just bought new plugs.

I drove the car to auto place to another code read. This time the guy didn't get my subtle hints that i just wanted the codes, not the advice (Replace the O2 Sensors) and asking me if I've done maintenance... No misfires now.

Electrical:
I was thinking it was the radio. But we took out the fuse for the radio (and the fuse popped in the F6 place without a working radio) and then took the 30 amp windshield wiper fuse. Im looking at auto places to check the electrical now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2003 vw Passat 1.8t it threw a p0243 code and I checked and it was the waste gate solenoid so I replaced the boost regulate N75 valve and checked my diverter valve. My Passat has zero boost and Boggs when I get into first or when I get on the gas and it’s about to hit boost it acts like it’s about to die or it fuel cuts what could be the issues

1 - 8 of 8 Posts